Limited mintage recommendations

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Sonic, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Sonic

Sonic New Member

I think this would be a safe bet since I plan to be in this for the long run, what are some good current limited mintage coins to be on the lookout for? Preferably some that aren't that expensive or necessarily all that desirable right now but might pay off in the future.

2. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Maybe see if you can find any remaining Perth Mint Salt Water Crocs?

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Libertads might be worth considering depending on where you live.

4. Sonic

Sonic New Member

I live in the US. Both of those have good prices. So how can I keep up with mintages, which ones are limited or unlimited, and how many were produced for each one?

5. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Perth Mint website has all their mintage info, just punch it in to google. From memory the crocs have a 1 million mintage.

6. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

I believe half the battle is to buy, in volume to attract the volume discount, when the product is first offered for sale from the manufacturer.

7. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

XAG intrinsic tender rounds.

The rams already fetch very high prices and the pennys, some of the buffalos and the symposium round have very small mintages. With the PM croc and other low priced rounds hitting the market this year the 2014 xag buffalo might be one to take a punt on.

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The past 2 years 1 oz silver bullion Libertads have maxed out at around 750,000. That's a comparatively low mintage for a good quality 1 oz bullion coin from a major national mint. Member db23 may be able to tell you projected total mintage numbers for the current year but I think in general, actual figures won't be available till 2015.

Still, even if 1 million are minted this year, for a 1 oz bullion coin produced in North America, it's probably a good buy if you are looking for low mintage and low price. Compare that to the other major national mints in North America, the US Mint and the RCM whose respective featured 1 oz bullion coins (the American Eagle and the Maple Leaf) are minted in the tens of millions.

9. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hunt for previous year coins at close to spot prices.

My bet is on the wedge tailed eagle and some years of the lunar series. I don't feel confident about the lunar series from the snake onwards as they are not holding up their prices as well compared to the previous years.

10. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

ha. those horses seem to be doing just fine for us who bought at 34'ish. heheehe

11. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Your experience in AU may be different, but it seems to take at least a couple of years for lunars in the US to get their sea legs. The 2010 tiger is my perfect example. Unloved when I bought them a year after issuance and unloved 6 months later. A few months later and they were the hot, hot, hot. I use 3-4 years as my timeline for lunars to obtain their full value. I would expect older lunars issued when silver was cheaper to fair better than newer lunars issued when silver was a higher price. Time is the great equalizer.

12. Altima

Yes I was using the forum buy/sell thread as an indicator. A roll of 1oz lunar snakes still arent moving at 640 AUD which is around 28 USD per oz.

Perhaps I shall see if the forums in the US are still as keen on lunars but my limited experience so far shows they are more interested in low premium silver as well as Mexican coins.

13. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Altima, I don't think the buy/sell forum is a good indicator of anything right now. Stuff is being offered below market and there still isn't interest. I think the forum is more of an indicator of depressed pm buyers.

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd say depressed sellers and very happy buyers. ;) :D

These are bargain hunting days.

Please send me your cheap offers of 1oz lunars please. :D

H

15. Altima

Hmm, perhaps using the forum alone is not a good indicator. Can try selling them on ebay but with the fees and scammers etc.

But for what its worth, there are still dealers in Australia selling the lunar horses for 575 AUD, which is around 25 USD per oz.

16. barsenault

Dang, why don't you buy me a 100 of those horses, and I'll send funds via PayPal. Heck, i'll pay you a tip. :D

17. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Their shipping charges are very high.

18. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

The america the beautiful series all the way. Especially if u live in the US. Around 30k mintage on each coin. Some sell out very fast and prices rise fast. And they are an amazing coin series to have.

19. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Bought my fourth one ever recently and sent it back today. The back was beautiful, but there was a place on George's face that looked like he been using Joan River's doctor. Of the three uncirculated ATBs I have bought all three had marks where it looked like the capsules had worn against the coins. I have returned all of them. The only ATB I have kept is the 2010 Yellowstone P(?) version that I bought from the mint at issuance. Maybe I am just unlucky. I sent this one back for exchange, but if the replacement coin has marks, back it goes and I am done with the series.

20. barsenault

Yes dccpa, I don't like the series either. I think the quality is shoddy. The only ones I ever bought because I saw an opportunity were the Hawaii ones. APMEX had them for like 170, and I bougt 6 of them and sold them a few weeks later for like 360.00, and then poured the money into the kook remints. :D I really like the America the beautiful images and great idea. But the quality does me in every time. Even the hawaii coins I had, had big issues, yet folks gobbled them up. I think the proof are good, but pay a pretty penny.