Libertad 2015 Kilo for investment?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by stackermatt, Jul 18, 2016.

1. stackermatt

stackermatt New Member

I am considering purchasing 2015 Kilo Libertads for a multi year investment hold. Please share any experience or thoughts you may have. If not Libertads, which Kilo coins would you purchase?

2. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

I have a couple of the kilo Koalas. They're quite nice I reckon. If you're after premiums then, as the Baron said, your 1oz coins would be a better option. If you're just after a nice investment under the assumption silver is going up then the coins aren't a bad thing to have. Just don't have that as your only PM investment is my advice.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Libertads seem to be gaining popularity among collectors and stackers in general.

Kilo Libertads are fine. Go for it.

Be careful of the distinction between the bullion version and the limited edition "Proof-Like" (often referred to as "PL") version. Mintages for the PL version are generally considerably less than for the BU version. The higher premium for the PL version is due to the higher cost of production for this product plus the significantly lower mintage.

BEWARE: Some sellers on eBay are actually packing bullion version kilo Libertads in the PL version OGP wooden boxes with the possible intent to deceive potential buyers.

Here are some examples of what I mean. I would not buy any coins from these sellers as they are engaging in what I call deceitful selling practices even though coyly there is some disclosure by one of these sellers that the coins themselves are NOT the PL version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1-KILO...955550?hash=item2a6c33b95e:g:2dYAAOSw~oFXJgeS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-KILO-Silv...792572?hash=item2caf7d687c:g:mNsAAOSwT5tWQiez

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-KILO-Silv...074353?hash=item2cae3203b1:g:7PUAAOSwu-BWQh6J

The PL version looks different than the bullion (BU = Bullion or Brilliant Uncirculated) version. The PL version has a reverse proof finish.....fields are a normal low sheen bullion finish while the raised areas are very reflective (mirror shiny as if they've been polished by hand.)

The BU version is entirely low sheen.

4. magickookaburraride

magickookaburraride New Member

You don't ever lose the premium you paid to acquire a recent release Kilo Libertad, and they just go up after that...no brainer BUY.

5. Gullintanni

Gullintanni Well-Known Member

What an incredibly silly bit of nonsense.

6. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

depends what country you live in, market for libs in Australia is terrible.
    I have never bothered with them, even though I think the design is stunning.

If you're after something that appreciates with age then pay a bit more and get 1oz semi numismatic coins ( lunars, kooks or pandas).

7. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agree with the design being stunning. I got some 1oz libertads and they are my favorite for design.

8. mmissinglink

That's because many Aussies don't know what is a good coin and what isn't. :lol:

9. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

"Investment" (I would call it saving but that's just me) works only if the buying price is lower than selling price (adjusted for price risings of the stuff you saved for).
    Silvers price hangs now around $20. $6-7 of that is due to futures contracts, which have now the highest net total amount, a peak on a term of at least 2 decades.
    The question now is, which question is most important here: which silver product to buy or which silver price to pay? :D

10. mmissinglink

That's always been the question for many of us.....not just at this moment.

11. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Well the answer on that "eternal" then - question overrules the question what silver product, the topics consideration is likely in present time.

12. Aureus

When you have kooks, koalas and lunars in abundance it makes it hard to like other coins - all bullion coins are poor by comparison.

Austrian Philharmonics are like libs as well here, they ooze quality but get no love.

13. mmissinglink

I was teasing.

My first bullion coin purchases back when I put on a stacker hat was Lunar series 2 silver bullion coins. The quality of this series is extraordinary for a bullion coin....they have the quality of a numismatic coin. I started off by buying 2008 Lunar Mouses....still my favorite coin of the series.

I didn't fall for Libertads until at least a year later.

14. Aureus

I know but there's a little bit of truth to it as well. There seems to be a stigma attached to libs and philharmonics and I have never understood it. Quality design and finish on both, yet incredibly unpopular - people would rather buy trashy generic bullion or milk spotted maples before giving them the time of day.

15. mmissinglink

I think among American stackers, Libertads are relatively popular....but I'm not sure Phils are. I am not a fan of Phils, though I have a few....just not impressed with the design or the finish. I am not so keen on that nickel look for silver. It's the same reason I am not a fan much of the regular Britannia bullion coin.

To each their own I suppose.

I really like the reverse proof look of the Lunar series, the kook, and Koala. I also do like the finish of the bullion ASE...it's just too bad that the ASE design just never changes....way too boring. Thirty years....that's a long enough run on one design. It's time for a change US Mint!

Or, give us a 10 ounce or kilo ASE . Now that would be a hit among stackers I think.

16. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I think Liberatds are my favorite "bullion" coins (I put in quotes as some sizes are more semi-numi). I like Lunars and I even bought few. Design is changing, which is good, but Queen is boring for me. Liberatds didn't change much, but design is incredible.

I think Philharmonics are more popular in central Europe.