LBC's Badon Pulls Support For NCS

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Catseye, May 10, 2012.

1. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

No. I haven't sent any coins to be graded, you should know that :p

Haven't decided. Will still send some of my coins for NCS, especially the ones with copper spots (Gold) and my silver. Might skip the large Gold coins if they look fine due to costs.

I've never said that the NCS techniques are bad or anything like that, I actually like what they do with coins (on average; I have an NCS silver coin with 'rust spot').

Nor have I actually complained about the lack of labeling to signify that a coin is conserved. I 'buy the coin (pretty)' not the conservation process.

Nothing has changed. It all started with an opinion by Badon as to how NCS may fail in the future because they are not meeting 'customer needs'. Some people have said that NCS does meet their needs while others have said NCS does not.

I merely hope that IF NCS does fall it does not drag NGC down with it and in turn destroy NGC or even worse turn it into an ANACS-style TPG.

I do. It used to be that people were willing to pay more for NCS coins and even sellers were asking for more if the coin is NCS'd. Which sort of made sense since it costs money to get a coin conserved.

2. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

ok fair enough

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps many people have been thinking about the NCS labeling issue but never really said much about it and posting this article gave them the opportunity to express themselves.

Or perhaps they just aren't good at saying what they think and Badon put their thoughts in his own words.

Anyway, given how there has been extensive discussion as to How do we tell a coin is NCS'd? where you showed 3xxxxx coins were most likely NCS'd, I am sure people want to know if their coin is NCS'd. If that isn't keen interest in the labeling issue I don't know what is.

I know many members including Thor, yennus and others that prefer their coins to be NCS'd.

Not sure who that's directed at but I don't see anybody who has made their arguments using the reason because Badon said so.

Everybody has contributed their individual thoughts to the issue which were obtained from various sources.

Just because some thoughts may align with Badon's thoughts does not automatically make them a "Badon fanboy".

ps. I'm very tired so if I come off as rude please forgive me. No offense meant ! :)

4. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

Hehehe that's how I was last night tired and a bit cantankerous :D

Go to bed fanboy !!! j/k :D

5. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

I concur with you that conservation is not the be all and end all. If a 2000 mirror is in stunning condition in 2012 it is less relevant whether it was conserved when slabbed in 2000 and thus labeling is really a non issue when making a decision to purchase this coin. It has selected itself as a strong long term coin by virtue of it surviving the journey in pristine condition thus far.

It is more an issue for more recent release coins which are much early in that journey. Which perfect looking 2012 coin is going to survive this journey and come out looking the best in 2022.

Is it your best looking OMP sheet that has be stored in optimum conditions? Is it the non-NCS/NGC MS70 coin that is stored in equally optimal conditions ? Or is your NCS/NGC MS70 coin that is stored in identical situations ?

Maybe it is the OMP sheet that is then taken through the NCS process in 2022 but in 2012 I would have thought most collectors would place the highest premium on the NCS/NGC coin. I guess this premium would last for the first 5-10 yrs of the coins journey.

In 2015, the 2012 coin that you would be looking for is the NCSed coin that has been stored in the most optimum conditions. So I guess at this early part of the coin's journey information about NCS certification would be relatively important. This is where I see the NCS premium most relevant.

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

This is exactly what I was thinking. It is nice though to have a civil discussion here without people blowing their lids because people have different opinions. Probably a dumb question but Has anyone asked NCS why they do not label the coins as conserved?

7. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

The reason they've given in the past is that NCS and NGC are different companies and there is no established way to correlate the two.

There was an NCS employee who posted on CCF about it a few months back.

8. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Im very happy with the opinions. I personally like if ngc put a mark or c or other to identify conserved coins. But i buy a few conserved and after it i try to buy or make ncs/ngc for all my coins because i saw a big eye diference in a ncs coin and a not ncs coin. I too buy a few coins than dealers say are conserved and when i ask for papers. They dont have it. But i buy the coin, but when i have other coin in same grade ncs will keep it and sell the dont conserved or the one imhave doubts. I trust in one seller than sell to me one mirror ngc ncs 69 at 1250 but he dont have the papers. But when i saw the coin. I think is ncs. But i have the doubt. If ncg mark the slabs is better. And yes i pay a premium for a conserved ncs coin than the same not conserved. I prefer to buy from yennus, comeaux, musemellow and others here because they have the papers to probe the ncs and i trust in them.
    But if ncs say they make a ncs conservation and dont make it in a new shinny coin. I think i cant distinghuish it. For example i sent my new singapore medals to ncs/ngc and i think i dont diferentiate if ncs make a conservation or not.
    But i think if they bill me for a ncs service they will make it.

9. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

well , IMHO ,If the coins that are conserved garnish some premium and if buyers and sellers could easily distinguish a conserved coin ,you would tend to think more people would conserve coins , which IMO just makes good business sense............. I would venture the say that a fair amount of people see the designation NCS on lets say a listed coin on ebay and they don't even know what it is ,if I owned NGC and I had the only trusted conservation service around ,it would be a no brain er for me to make that designation on the label and garner all that free publicity for my services

10. Lim

Lim New Member

That is a interesting reason to give . Anyway if NCS feel that business is dropping then they might relook into how to set up a system to correlate the both .
    It actually take 2 parties to clap ( NGC + NCS ) to set up a common system - Nothing is impossible in the IT world --Almost ...... :)

Meanwhile continue to buy the coins i like and buy from reputable sellers like what Thor122 mentioned :)