Large acrylic boxes

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by silverdollarnuts, Aug 5, 2014.

1. silverdollarnuts

silverdollarnuts New Member

i want to order a large acrylic box that i can display my stack in my security room, kind like a museum diplay....i was wondering if the silver will tarnish in that kind of box or its like the small capsul that everyone use to put their coins in...

thanks for responses...:)

2. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

Well.....silver naturally tarnishes over time. If you were to put a silver round in the box you are describing and come back a month from now, it would have toned a little bit as a result.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

To prevent it from tarnishing you need to keep sulphides out of the box. If you live in the countryside then this probably isn't much of an issue, unless you live near an active volcano. In cities or where there is a lot of pollution then it is more important that the coin is protected.

Even in the small capsules coins can tarnish, it just depends on the environment.

You can keep them in the capsules within the box.

4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Smoking probably also has a big effect.
    Especially using matches, you can just smell the sulphur, that bad it is.

But earlier on the subject, despite it can be attractive to display silver coins, maybe it's in general an idea that has more drawbacks than (cosmetical) benefits.
    Maybe the dog trick works: select a small part, and show it somewhere else than your 'security room'. Not in the middle of the entrance of course, there are ideas enough to give it a nice show somewhere 'inbetween'. It may already suffics. Eventually you can after a while replace them with others, for a change. You can also get a dog already happy with a nugget, no need to give the cow.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Other pollutants and air borne elements and substances can adversely affect the finish on a coin as well. Want to keep your coin as lustrous as possible? Try to make the enclosure it's in as air tight as possible.

6. silverdollarnuts

silverdollarnuts New Member

thanks...lots of stuff to think about...i might get a large acrylic box, with no lids (screw in types) add some charcoal and silicium to the box....it should do the trick...i was thinking of displaying like 3 tubes of bullion and a couple of bars.....ennyway its a few months away before i start this project...have to build a house first...LOL

7. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Put the 3 tubes in a triangle setup, lay the bars on their tops, and you have your house.
    Just need to shrink alittle bit.