Labelling - the politics of words

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by CriticalSilver, Jan 11, 2013.

1. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Ever wonder why the the sudden change from "global warming" to "climate change"? This guy seems to be saying there is a greater fear imbedded in the term "climate change". At any rate, he suggests a sudden change in the descriptive vernacular of a topic in the popular media is not by chance, but part of a manipulation of public consciousness to better support solutions that meet political imperatives. I guess we should be concerned when they start calling government bonds "retirement protection certificates"!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2riOiBaZrg[/youtube]

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone who thinks the change has been "sudden" hasn't been paying attention.

The phrase preferred by the scientific community has been "climate change" since the late 80s.

3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    - George Orwell

4. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

People fear change.

5. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

When I did my scientific training, inbetween the 80s and the last 10 years, I heard plenty on global warming. It was force fed to us, third only to hatred of western culture (second) and environmental sustainability (first). The words climate change together were used but very, very, infrequently because it was not the buzz term everyone used. The change to use of it was sudden in terms used in popular media and pop culture.