Kookaburras: Specimen vs Bullion

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mrjorisa, Oct 8, 2015.

1. mrjorisa

mrjorisa New Member

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before, was not able to really find the answer I was looking for aside from the generic Perth Mint site which didn't really answer the specifics for kook sets.

I know that there isn't really a difference between the specimen sets from the bullion for silver kooks, aside from specimen sets coming in presentation cases. However does this affect the mintages for the kooks? I.e. are the specimen sets considered as part of the declared mintages for bullion kooks?

Also if I were to purchase a specimen set of kooks, can I just add the coins to help complete my kook set, or would that essentially not be a true complete kook bullion set? Should the specimen sets be treated the same as proof/numismatic sets?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

AFAIK they're given a separate mintage, I have a few Kook specimens with xxx mintage on the presentation card thingy.

I wouldn't be bothered about it being a 'true' complete set. The Currie Monster states
    '... our definition of specimen quality now relates exclusively to bullion-like strikes featuring one or more numismatic treatments'. So pretty much same-same.