Kook 4 coin set

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Troy oz, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Troy oz

Troy oz New Member

Gday folks, first post long time lurker,
    I have approached stacking up until now very logically, just buying perth mint issue 1oz coins, both direct and on the secondary market. My thinking is they are the most liquid form of silver in Australia. I have managed to keep my purchases rational, until friday I was offered a box set 1995 kooka's which included 1KG, 10oz, 2oz 1oz. l just had to have it so after handing over $1888 I brought it home, feeling a little buyers remorse for not sticking to my game plan.
    I am annoyed with myself because I know it will be the hardest thing to sell, and you sould never fall in love with your investments. Have I made a mistake? will repent next week and buy some of those 2011 koalas, no one falls in love with them.

Cheers

2. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Troy oz, welcome, feel no remorse. You got quality bullion at not much over spot. 45oz @ $1888 = $42/oz. Gimme a break!

3. Arsenal

Arsenal New Member

I would be pretty happy with myself if I bought a set of Kooks like yourself :D

There is always a market to buy and sell Kooks.

4. Troy oz

Troy oz New Member

Yes the price per ounce was the clincher for me, but I dont think i will be able to part with it, the whole point of stacking silver was to invest not buy more trinkets.

Thanks!

5. rbaggio

It is also customary to send via PM, to your first post's replier, the location where you procured said bargain, so similar bargain can be procured.

Just kidding :)

(email is fine)

6. Troy oz

Troy oz New Member

rbaggio, Maldini should have never started DelPiero in front of you in 98, but I digress, I will let you know but your response has made me want to go back and look at the 1kg 2000 olympics coin they had, I never asked the price, but it was a beautiful coin.

Thanks

7. rbaggio

Those 2000 olympic 1kg coins are beautiful. If you can get it for the same or similar $/oz, you are laughing.

And I will take the madman Sacchi over Maldini any day :)

8. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

Howdy :)

Here's a thought from the "flip side" so to speak. Ask yourself - why are you stacking? Believe one day the SHTF, or numismatic? I'm guessing you're planning for SHTF or financial protection, reading between the lines of what you wrote.

If you're buying for SHTF or financial protection, consider this. Whilst 1oz units will be very handy for SHTF, you also must consider that buying absolutely everything in 1oz units is going to lead to a storage issue, let alone the fact that you'll be paying a high premium on everything you buy.

Neither of these issues are earth-shatteringly bad, mind you - you're still in front of 99% of the population who have no PM's by as much as you hold. I will offer this thought though, as someone who had a very modest stack;

I have a number of 1oz units - Kook, ASE, Maple, Panda. I also have some 1Kg bars and a couple hummers (1Kg coin). I have some 1oz bars (PAMP), and some 10oz bars. All recognisable (Perth Mint, Pamp, ASE, Maple), all .999. If SHTF or normal selling, your units need to be recognisable, and accepted with a minimum of testing (just my humble opinion).

This mix gives me a balance between SHTF barter ability, financial security, and easy stacking.

One last thought, do not (as I did initially) jump on the Silver bandwagon yelling "Yippee Yi Yo, High Ho Silver, Away" etc. Look at some gold as well - fractional, if you can, and again, recognisable and tradeable. Don't misunderstand, I don't think Silver is a bad thing to buy - I thnk it's great, especially long term - but it's a case of "all eggs in one basket". This way, I can liquidate, if I need to, my choice of metal, depending on current circumstances.

9. lamp

lamp New Member

I'm sure it doesn't happen to you all the time. There is a say in Chinese "Money can't always buy what you love". I think throughout our time in investing in gold and silver or any other hard assets, we would come acorss the "falling in love" feeling with our investment, I reckon we cannot avoid emotional detachment from 100% of our invesement, at the end of the day, it will end up few of our favourite items that will stay with us.

So, enjoy the beauty of your set and don't feel negative about it.