Kennards break-in court case

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by goldpelican, Oct 16, 2012.

1. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Who would leave valuables/bullion in Kennards self storage? As much as I hate banks, their safe deposit boxes seem like a much smarter option for storing bullion.

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The services were advertised as safe deposit boxes - not as general self storage.

3. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe that was false/misleading advertising.

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Stupid people. Each of those boxes has a hole for a barrel lock to be inserted along with the padlock. None of the boxes pictured in the bottom photo are using the barrel locks that are extremely difficult to remove, even with a grinder. They are all depending on padlocks that can be cut off with bolt cutters.

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I agree what a joke .I would have walked in looked at them them walked back out shaking my head pissing myself laughing . Most of the locks you wouldnt even need bolt cutters a good hit with a hammer would break them & the boxes look like they are sheet metal nothing your average battery drill /grinder & a pait of good heavy duty wiss snips wouldnt get through .

6. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All done and dusted. Been a slow few days in court. Mostly prosecution and defence trying to agree the value of the property.

Evidence as to burglary, theft and obtaining property by deception went unchallenged as mobile phone intercepts taken during the burglary were pretty damning.

Saw no representatives from Kennards in court throughout the 3 days. But I could be wrong.

Both father and son will appear to make their guilty pleas (as per plea bargain) on 2nd May in the County Court.

Then it's off to face charges from the NSW police.

7. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

As has already been said, who the hell would leave it in a storage locker, I have working in the Self Storage industry when my family owned a self storage business, and for the property owners it can be quite the Cash Cow but to leave something like than in there is just asking for trouble, all the security at those sites is best effort, all care and no responsibility if you read the contracts

8. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

Someone on this forum once said they would love to get a huge safe and fill it with house bricks and then not bolt it to the floor. That would be bloody amusing, if someone got it knowing you had bullion.

Never mind the fact that the bullion is probably disguised as Christmas ornaments or at the bottom of a Milo tin of rusty nails. (Damn, now I've said it!)

9. Stedlar

Stedlar Active Member

Police say Thieves stole $300,000 worth of silver bullion, sorry make that $275,000, ok so $198,000, no, now its $267,000 , hold on.

10. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

:lol: seems a lot for 120kg of silver bullion must have all been redback spiders

11. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

2nd may... long way off. We're they released on bail or remanded?

12. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

this all remind me of how I used to think my luggage was secure

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI[/youtube]

13. Captain Kookaburra

Father ... Out on Bail until 2nd May 2013 with $350000 bond put up by his brother
    Son ... Remanded in Custody until 2nd May 2013
    Holy Spirit ... Still wanted for questioning :)

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm glad they got caught. They deserve a lengthy jail sentence. To steal what could be someone's entire life savings is a discusting criminal act.

Also you'd have to be puffin muffins to store your wealth in one of those places.

.. A personal safe at home is no good unless its hidden. Otherwise it just screams value and the smash and grab robbers will just leave and then come back on a 'safe' grabbing mission or crime can just make you open it.

15. Captain Kookaburra

http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/guess-how-much-money-i-found-dad-20121017-27qke.html

Phillip See was an unemployed law student with a masters degree when he decided to set up a well-organised burglary team with his father, a court heard today.

See, 33, pleaded guilty in the Melbourne Magistrates Court to charges of burglary, theft and obtaining property by deception after stealing $900,000 worth of goods from a Melbourne storage facility.

His father, Christopher, 57, pleaded guilty to similar charges yesterday over the burglary at a Kennard's self-storage in Ivanhoe where cash, gold and silver jewellery, watches and gold and silver bullion were among the items stolen.

In a summary of evidence tendered to the court today, police said Phillip See's only motivation for his crimes was greed.

"The proceeds of these crimes were used to help fund further crimes, pay for the services of prostitutes and an overseas holiday," police said in the summary obtained by The Age.

As part of their modus operandi, the Sees would hire cars and travel by air from Sydney, use false driver's licences, open false bank accounts, use multiple mobile phones and SIM cards with false names, and use second-hand dealers to dispose of stolen goods.

At 10pm on Saturday, December 3 last year, the Sees drove to the Kennard's storage facility and Phillip entered the premises by scaling a tall cyclone fence and cutting through barbed wire at the top.

He used a mobile phone to keep in contact with his father and updated him regularly on his movements and actions inside the premises.

Once inside the property, Phillip See used a portable power saw to cut a hole through a timber access door to gain entry to a safe deposit box room.

This door was alarmed but would only be activated if it was opened.

See placed a bag over a surveillance camera in the room and opened 36 security boxes by grinding, cutting and damaging lock mechanisms.

He stole a large number of items from the boxes including cash, jewellery, and gold and silver bullion.
    See spoke to his father about 70 times during the burglary, discussing what he had found, how long he should spend in the premises and the use of a bleach product to clean the crime scene.

The calls included Phillip See telling his father: "Um, I'm I'm nearly two-thirds through, um, but I've got so much here it's unbelievable. Um it will shock you. I don't know how to get it out, it's too much."

Another call involved Phillip See telling his father: "Guess how much money I found? Guess how much money I found?"

Christopher See replies: "How much, tell me, a lot?"
    Phillip: "Three three hundred thousand."
    Christopher: "Ooh, f---, you're kidding?"
    Phillip: "Three hundred thousand dollars cash. And guess what else I found. Forty ounces of gold. Wait till you see it, Dad, you're gonna be f---in' shell-shocked. I can't believe it."

The Sees left the warehouse at about 7am with several bags of stolen cash and goods.

Phillip See caught a train back to Sydney the next day while his father, who had a full-time job with the Department of Human Services, took a Virgin flight.
    Magistrate William O'Day remanded Phillip See, of Randwick, to appear in the County Court on May 2 next year for a plea hearing. Christopher See, of Double Bay, was released on bail with a $350,000 surety to appear on the same day.

The Sees have been named by NSW police as suspects in a three-year-long series of burglaries on Sydney's north shore between 2008 and last year that allegedly netted millions of dollars.

Police allege that a "treasure trove" of $2.8 million in cash, 120 kilograms of silver bullion, war medals, five firearms and 3000 pieces of gold and silver jewellery were found when they raided a storage shed at a Sydney apartment allegedly connected to the Sees two weeks after they were arrested over the Melbourne burglary in December last year.