Kangaroo weights

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by TomD, Jun 4, 2012.

1. TomD

TomD Member

From what I can find on the net, silver kangaroos are supposed to weigh 31.6 grams. I just checked all of mine that aren't in cards and found that they all weigh right at 32.2 grams. I weighed 7 different coins from 3 years (2001, 2003, 2006) and all were over 32 grams. Scale is good. I measured one of the coins and it was 40.02 mm diameter and 2.97mm thick at the rim which sounds about right.

What's up with the weight? I really like for my coins to weigh right on published weight. Here's one of the 2003's. Can't imagine anyone going through this much trouble to fake this complicated and low premium a coin. Queenie on the other side looks fine.

[​IMG]

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Saw a mint video about minting 1oz rounds and they varied a fair bit in weight. All the ones under weight were remelted and if over the went through anyway.

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I also have overweight Roos but I read somewhere that they were manufactured to be above 1Toz which is why I bought them. Cannot find the reference at present but they were minted that way.

4. TomD

TomD Member

For a 999 silver coin, the published weight of 31.6 is overweight but 32.2 is heavy enough to send my red flags up. If I saw a Eagle, Maple, Philharmonic, Libertad or any of a number of other coins that far over a troy oz, they would almost certainly be fakes.

Does anyone else out there have a kangaroo or two that they could weigh? I'd appreciate it.

5. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't be concerned,
    I've just weighed several Roos, different years at random, and all come in around 32.5

6. TomD

TomD Member

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.