just made first ever purchase!!..and..does anyone keep a tally/chart?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by MousePad, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Same & I also use the sheet for my insurance company as they want details of the hoard.

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

Insurance companies would want your underwear sizes if they thought they were a risk!

How much detail do they want? A total value or a breakdown in holdings to bars, coins etc?

3. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

Mine is written in a book.

While 99% of day-to-day things i can complete on a computer I feel that in 10, 20, 50 years time, the book will still be around, but what if my spreadsheet crashes.

4. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

I have that :D

I track the cost average but not just as a blanket figure as I prefer to know what I own and the cost is a factor in this and therefore the cost average is a corollary of all I own.

5. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

agreed. i just have a lecture book.. write a description of type,weight,mint and cost.

then

take a photo and keep the photographic proof on the computer..

6. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

That's a big "what if", even bigger if you have backups of your important data.

What if you have a house fire?

7. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

True, but in the last few months both of my computers have had problems so i think its better for me to have a somewhat antiquated records system.

If i lost my book tomorrow i could probably rewrite the whole thing without much trouble - from email history, account statements and PMs... and memory

A house fire would cause a lot more alarms than a record book that i only keep as a reference - its not something i 'need'.

8. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

The same things (email history, account statements, PMs, memory) you use to rewrite your book could also be used to reconstruct your spreadsheet. And after you've entered everything in your spreadsheet you could just print out a hard-copy if you are afraid of losing your spreadsheet due to computer troubles. Spreadsheets are really useful for doing the maths and generating lots of reports/statistics.

9. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

1. List of types of PMs
    2. Quantity for each

Not too concerned about $$$ value of yesteryear, it is a bit like harking back to the days when a litre of petrol was 20 cents. If I need historical data I'll use Perth Mint spreadsheets.

10. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I don't keep any record of the PMs I own, if SHTF such documentation could be responsible for you losing your stack. I know within a couple hundred bucks how much I've spent and pretty much down to the oz. How many pms I own. Everytime I make a significant purchase I do an inventory and its great! :)

11. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

No Kevin your definately OCD !!!!. Joking buddy you should keep a record of everything you buy & the prices paid so you can keep track of your investments ..Money spent ...gains made etc .Enjoy your new silver money

12. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

Create a parity volume for your spreadsheet and backup everything to dvd periodically. The parity volumes can provide error detection and file restoration if your spreadsheet gets corrupted somehow.

13. phillis

phillis Member

so retartedmoney, wanna upload your spreadsheet for us? minus all your data of corse :D

14. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix New Member Silver Stacker

How do you get hold of those? Would be useful!

15. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you make a field with total ounces, you can have a 'predicted price' field and a result field of ounces x predicted price so you can fantasise about buying apartments when the POS reaches $100 - or rises another dollar, two etc. Fun with numbers indeed!

16. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

17. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

Firstly, Kevin, welcome aboard!

I have two thoughts to share with you here. Firstly, you will soon - when you actually hold one or more ASE's in your hand, realise what money actually is... there's something about silver and gold, when you hold it for the first time, then read about how the banks, and Spanky Bernanke and his crowd are debasing fiat... a penny will drop in your head (maybe, hopefully). It's a special feeling (to me, anyway), so grats on your first purchase!

Second - it is NOT a waste of time to keep notes on what you bought, when, price paid, from whom, and details of purchase (inc bar numbers/serials etc). I wish to heck I had the foresight to do just that when I made my first purchases - I'd love to know all the details now, just to see how much they're increased in value how much the banks have debased (inflated) fiat by in the meantime. Put it this way - if you record it now, and don't want to know in the future, you can always ignore it or destroy it - if you don't record it now, you'll never reconstruct the information in years to come, especially if you do want it. Logic dictates recording the details is thus a "no loss" situation ;-)

18. MousePad

MousePad New Member

Thank you everyone for your input. i am putting together a spreadheet right now.. even also a book.. just for the hell of it..

but a few questions i havent figured out yet

what is spot?.. or %spot..is it the current price of the item?.. or is it what i paid for it?.

for example..i got my silver from apmex.... and the price was around 39 per Oz but it made me pay 45 per OZ..not including the shipping

19. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

This might help ... http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-170143.html#p170143

20. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Welcome Kevin. XB's link may also explain this but likely the spot price of silver was 39 and you paid a 6 premium because you only bought a few coins. Since you live in the US, you will find better pricing and lower shipping at providentmetals.com and a few others sellers.

Always save your purchase records. If you ever sell your ASE coins and report the sales :rolleyes:, you will be glad you kept the records.