Just had my 1st PCGS holder crack on me

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Gatito Bandito, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Was simply wiping it down using a microfiber cloth damp with a bit of isopropyl alcohol, which I've done plenty of times with others without issue.

Suddenly hear this slow crackling sound. Sure enough, 2 large cracks had formed, both from 2 different edges to around opposite sides of the center circle part. (I have a lousy camera, probably couldn't get a good shot of it.) Was no visible damage prior to this.

Wondering if perhaps the coin was slightly too big for that interior circle? I also noticed that the coin was already at a slight angle, maybe putting some pressure on it or something?

For the record, this is the PCGS label with the gold shield on it, which I believe isn't terribly old.

Everything is still intact, though the cracks are pretty large & deep. Bad enough, that I'd imagine a tiny amount of air and/or moisture could reach the coin now. Might not be good for the long-term.

Seriously considering having it re-holdered (obviously for a fee). I'm no high-roller, but this is a pretty cool coin (with some rainbow toning) which cost me near the upper range of my budget for something like this. Sort of have no choice, really.

I honestly have no idea what happened. As mentioned, there was no prior visible damage before all this. And I certainly didn't drop it while in my possession.

And yes, the coin & holder are legit, as there's plenty of unique indentifiers & it fully matches the PCGS images.

Anybody ever experience something like this before?

Might have just been a faulty holder, or closed together incorrectly. Damn PCGS. :mad:

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Was it old? Maybe the plastic becomes brittle over time.

3. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

send for cleaning plus reholder it

4. Gatito Bandito

What, you more interested in the holder or the coin? :p

Understand that I *cannot* get a good shot with my toy camera (yes, working on getting a real one). Best I can do with a camera that was lousy back 12 years ago, and was meant for a 12-year-old.

Drew the red lines a little outside where it's cracked..

[​IMG]

Seller's photos, which I always try to remember to save.

Quite a bit can be accomplished if you have the skills & the equipment.. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Gatito Bandito

I believe this the most recent holder type, with the gold PCGS shield label?

Could be a manufacturing defect in the holder itself, and/or poorly slabbed at the time.

Perhaps the alcohol set it off, creating enough of a difference in temperature, given the above? I have no idea.

All I know is I did nothing different than what I've done to a number of other slabbed coins (even a couple others along with it tonight), and it had no visible signs of damage prior to this.

Wondering if the placement angle of the coin, and/or a slab that was slightly too small, also played a role to everything? Who knows.

6. Gatito Bandito

:eek:

7. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

The cases are as far as I know PVC free acrylic. You should not use isopropyl alcohol to clean them

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9Ty0L0g7E[/youtube]

Here is a data sheet for acrylic plastic

https://www.nuaire.com/protected/bu...ow-products/GTB0090 Care & Use of Acrylic.pdf

"Scratches and abrasions may be buffed out using commercial polishing materials. Use of alcohol
    greater than 30% and acetone can cause irreversible damage and is not recommended (see
    material compatibility)."

8. Gatito Bandito

And.. there's the issue! :lol:

Thanks for the links.

I did a bit more research on it after your post.

It appears what's "required" for the greatly-increased likelihood of that happening is "enough" isopropyl, and/or the acrylic item already having some sort of stress point somewhere. I believe in my case, it was the latter.

As mentioned, I've done the same exact thing to a number of both PCGS & NGC in the past, and even a couple slabbed coins at the same time tonight. Never any issue, not even any kind of faint hazing or tiny cracks or anything! And others in other situations with acrylic items tend not to have issues, either -- but, it can & does occur.

First time it's ever happened to me. And once is enough. Have to pay up a bit for my education, I guess.

And.. I will stop doing that from now on, heh.

Thanks again!

9. silverbullion

silverbullion New Member

Perhaps the coin had a thirst for alcohol. Normally two drops of vodka into the cracks do the trick. :)

10. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm pretty sure you can send it back for it to be placed into a new holder? Think there is a fee for that though.

11. Gatito Bandito

Yep, recently sent off to the seller, who's having it re-holdered for me, fortunately.

And yep, there's a fee. Not *too* bad, especially since it's being submitted in-person at an upcoming show to save a few bucks.

Still rather not have to do it, but stupid things happen sometimes, heh.

12. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

pcgs holders suck---and they nor NGC are air-tight