Just after your thoughts

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Dusty, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Dusty

Dusty Active Member Silver Stacker

Im after everyones help if you would like to answer a question that I have?
    If property isnt a good investment for the next few years and shares look like they could swallow my money if I risk investing were or what you investing your money into?
    I have around a fair chunk of money I would like to invest and just want to protect myself against the rocky road that may lay ahead, what do you guys think?

Thanks for your help,

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm guessing you are going to hear "Silver" quite a bit

3. Dusty

Dusty Active Member Silver Stacker

I new it would be on the menu, but would you put a large amount of money into silver and be confidant it would work for you?

4. Rubbing Elbows

Rubbing Elbows Active Member

Australian Whisky can get you around 11%-12% p.a.

5. Mattlyndy

Mattlyndy Member Silver Stacker

everything in moderation. A portion split between Gold and silver, cash and shares. But i'm not a financial advisor.

6. silversardine

silversardine Member

Check out James Turk's you tube site for some good commentary on the value of gold as a way of preserving your dollar. Not an investment exactly, but somewhere to put your money if you can't figure out what else to do with it.

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am wary of anything paperbased so I have my money in silver and housing. Not a fan of shares.

8. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Get a farm and some precious metals. The rest of manipulated and controlled by people you can not trust and who do not care for you.

9. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I don't like gold, but if wealth preservation is what you are after the gold ya man. Personally silver 100%

10. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

Hey rubbing elbows is that a joke or are you serious about the Australian whiskey?

11. kram

kram New Member

he be srs, couldn't find the link after a quick search but it's somewhere here on the forum

12. Rubbing Elbows

I'm absolutely serious, I just got offered last week by a distillery 11.85% p.a.(inc a bonus .25%p.a.) compounding for a 4 year term, including title, insurance, bond storage 3 x $2000 barrels. Guaranteed buy back at that 11.85% + you can continue to roll it over and take the interest

Ive researched a couple of others but I believe these guys are the best.

http://www.victoriavalley.com.au/barrels.html

13. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Well that's interesting! Thanks elbows. :) First thing that comes to mind though is tea-tree plantations and olive groves. :(

Downloaded pdf and will have a good read. You are obviously not associated with that mob are you? :D Please, no offence intended.

14. Rubbing Elbows

I've been researching for some time, have had several conversations with different distilleries & also read through several offers. I only know a little about the tree plantations but from my research here's why I have felt safe with this type of investment. It's not a tax dodge scheme.

1. The barrel is yours
    2. It has a certificate of title, unique no & issued to you
    3. it is insured
    4. It is lodged with the tax department, closely watched for excise reasons etc etc
    5. The offer has a guarantee buy back or you keep the barrel
    6. Should the company go broke, you go pick up the whiskey & pay the government excise, then drink freely for some time or sell to another distillery
    7. There is a substantial mark up from the producing to the sale price. I believe the final production cost to the distiller including your interest payment is around $16 a bottle, sold for $80+ a bottle

The reason the distiller offers the program is because of the length of time needed for the whiskey to mature(approx 4 years), so obviously they cant make any sales for such a long time, so if they are setting up a new distillery they need capital, a good way to raise it without selling the shares in the company. The above mentioned distillery is basically being set up by owners/operators/directors of Lark Distillery currently based in Tasmania but they needed a main land based distillery as the costs to move the whiskey to the main land from Tasmania was too expensive to transport across the straight, so they set up a main land based distillery. It sounds good to me.

Also note I have no commercial arrangement with this or any distillery, just sharing my research.

15. mmm....shiney!

Thank you again elbows. :)

16. Rubbing Elbows

No worries.

After I downloaded the pdf, about 3 days later they emailed me a slightly better offer than was shown on the initial downloaded pdf, slightly higher % but the barrels were a little dearer. I had to negotiate to the 3 barrels @ $2000 each as they usually ask for a minimum 10 barrel or $20k buy in.

17. mmm....shiney!

:lol: I hope they don't read this forum then, might negotiate for $1900.

The suggestion you're making then is that they carefully monitor who downloads the pdf and if they don't hear back, they offer a little incentive. Yeh I thought it was weird that you were talking $2000, when I did a search on google and got their website it mentioned minimum $20000. Was going to ask whether you'd made a typo, but I understand now.

18. Rubbing Elbows

lol!

I also left my number and got a call from the managing director & spoke to him for approximately 45minutes. He explains it all well.

p.s. I believe the download was the same one i had downloaded in late 2007 early 2008, I dont think they have updated it with the new offer.

19. somerset

somerset Member Silver Stacker

Rubbing Elbows - what a find... win win!

Love whisk(e)y...

20. Rubbing Elbows

Good ey, I first started researching the Retail Australian Whiskey market, where by just purchasing the first release of the new Australian distilled batches to ever hit the market, where then they were growing in value & offering high returns..... Buy 3...... 1 to drink, 1 to sell & 1 to keep.

These guys http://www.distillery.com.au/about.aspx were issuing numbered releases and i've seen some double in price