Japanese Shares!

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by Wizz1, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Wizz1

Wizz1 New Member

So its terrible whats happened over there, been watching the Nikkei and its dropping was wondering whether to buy some shares in companeys whilst there on such a slump, but there a problem i have absolutely no idea about what there companys are about, read someone comment on here about wood company, obviously through all the houses that need to be rebuilt! there be buying up wood, but as i said have no idea just wondering has anyone started to buy shares out there yet??

2. Ridesags

Ridesags New Member

Bought TOSBF Toshiba on Monday, this company has the 4s mini reactor. Will be an interesting addition to the Energy portfolio.
    TOSBF $4.41

3. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

4. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

Although normally the buildings would need to be rebuilt, in this case there may not be many people left to live in them :(

5. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

I am not morally perfect by any stretch of the imagination. On stating that fact, the quest for shares and profits in the wake of a disaster such as Japan is not my cup of tea.
    I don't mind that other people do it. It is part human nature. As with almost everything, moral justifications can easily be crafted for ones actions either way. Do what thou wilt.

6. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Now might be a great time to consider an emerging market managed fund? Like black rock or others...

7. stepladder

stepladder New Member

Blackrock = goldman sachs!

8. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

Apologies. Certainly not meant as a criticism, just an observation...

9. SilverSanchez

The Law of Identity in logic would insist that is not true... but I understand what you are trying to say :)

Have you seen the documentry "Inside Job"? Its about the sub-prime morguage crisis from 2008 - it won an Oscar

10. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

The Japanese stockmarket is a difficult place to invest. There are very few quality growth stocks. Prices are still relatively high partly due to low interest rates. Even after the decline good value is hard to find. Also the culture although gradually changing is different to here, management aren't as focused on corporate governance and profitability as they are here. If you are looking for asset plays there are enough of them in Japan but it can be a minefield, so be careful.

11. stepladder

stepladder New Member

Hope to see it one day. I have only seen the trailer and it looks very good.

This is where I got that from: http://www.oneradionetwork.com/blogcategory/the_real_world_of_money/
    can't tell you which episode only that they talked about it before Blackrock appeared (or should I say before I saw it) in Australia.

12. SilverSanchez

Yeah saw that series, "million dollar traders" was also good/funny

13. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There was a quick summary of the Japanese stockmarket today on ABC's 'Inside business'. Mentioned that although Japan was over 200% of GDP in debt... they also have large amounts of outstanding credit. And while the Govt is spending big...the private sector have been doing 'savings'. The Japanese have already started issuing bonds and they're being snapped up.

This was followed by an interview with the head of Palladin Energy, whom said that they expected to pounce on the Jnr Uranium miners as they struggle for cash to develop their deposits.

p.s.

Now this is just an uninformed opinion, but I think a lot of the current suck-it-and-see mindset has to do with the fact that the Japanese can't run away and everyone, rich and poor are in this together. Unlike many other nations with a colonial background, the Japanese language isn't spoken around the world and their culture is most unlike any on the planet including asia so they wouldn't feel very comfortable in other countries... not to mention the fact that there is still animosity towards the Japanese in their neighbouring asian nations because of 'the war'.

14. SilverSanchez

YES! Go Paladin, they have to watch they are not the victim of a hostile takeover themselves