It's on......how about this frontpage message...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kookaburra, Feb 1, 2011.

1. kookaburra

kookaburra New Member

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Yep, shortages are cropping up everywhere lol

3. kookaburra

kookaburra New Member

I have another story...from today.

I was about to order some silver from one of the intl dealers I use.

I couldn't because they have already reached the VAT liable products limit.

Their website was down for 14 days after new year so the above happened
    in the last 2 weeks.... last year it took until October to reach the same limit.

I live in the wrong country for sure.

:-(

4. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

I'm not so sure about this shortage... I was at a dealer, who will remain nameless, at a time I won't disclose, except to say it was this week. It didn't look like there was a shortage of Ag to me... Maybe a shortage of smaller denomination bars and coins, but no shortage of metal...

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Source: gainesvillecoins.com

Couldn't see it on my phone earlier - Gainesville redirect mobile users to a mobile site.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

It's hit and miss. Most of the stock issues are sourcing from the mint. I recall Steve here recently saying he only just got his shipment after a delay of about a month from the Perth Mint.

I think it might not necessarily be a silver shortage per say, but rather a bottle neck on the production lines.

Either way, this is very interesting to watch because by and large, the sheeple are still very much asleep to all of these events as they unfold. I think by time they wake up, there won't be any silver for them to buy anyway.

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Agree - this isn't a silver shortage message from Gainesville. It's an "overwhelming volume of orders" message.

8. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is fantastic; you live in a country where the government only let you to do 1 month work and force you to take 11 months holyday.

9. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Could you explain the workings/requirements of the VAT liable products limit.

Is the dealer only allowed to sell so much PM per year? Or does the VAT rate increase over a certain limit?

10. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

I don't know about shortages either.

There may be shortage to meet the higher transient demand but its not chronic IMO.

I haven't ordered any new silver in the last week or two but I'd bought deeper in the dip so I don't have to order now. Most people would have waited for the upswing and are now flooding back in realizing the dip is over and rushing to get an order in.

11. BullionBull

BullionBull New Member

There are shortages that are real (even if only created by a lag in manufacturing capacity), and there are shortages that arise because people are manipulating the market to discourage investment in these assets.

People should be aware that there are powerful authorities who absolutely abhor the use of fiat to buy PMs. It's simply a fact.

12. BullionBull

BullionBull New Member

In terms of absolute shortages, silver in the ground will last less than 30 years, more or less.

[​IMG]

13. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thought provoking, and perhaps most, if not all here, believe that statement. Do you have any concrete proof?

14. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Proof, if i have silver and you have silver and we live close to each other, we can do services for each other and pay each other in silver - no one will make money out of us.

So both the banking as well as the government sector will lose money on us doing that, which means that it is in their
    interest to prevent that from occuring.

15. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The other thing is, people with PMs maintain purchasing power over time. We don't need to play the bullshit game of getting interest payments. Trying to ensure that our fiat balances maintains purchasing power.

With PMs, they cannot steal from us via inflation.

Slam

16. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

speaking of which. Term deposit on 30 days at ANZ is 2.5%
    I think that's losing about 2.5% per month when inflation is taken into account (the 'real' inflation, not the govt one).

17. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Yes inflation is a "hidden tax". But you can get 7% longer term like 5 year deposits and if you are older with a super fund, you dont pay any tax so 7% tax free guaranteed return and guaranteed capital preservation is pretty attractive.

18. Goldrush

Goldrush Member

I don't understand why you would lock your money away in those term deposits when you can get 6.51% at ubank and 6.25 on an isaver account with NAB with no conditions on the amount of transactions you can do. It's where I store my excess fiat whilst I'm waiting for another investment opportunity to show itself. Its also a good place to park some fiat that you need for monthly living costs.

19. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

You dont pay tax, so its subsidised so its not free market so its a lie.

Guaranteed return and guaranteed capital preservation - they are guaranteeing the DOLLAR amount only
    and not its purchasing power.

try to find an investment vehicle where you can deposit 100 oz of gold and that they will guarantee 3 oz per year !!!
    if you can.

putting money into term deposits , you would be ripping yourself off. and deservedly so

20. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What is money? It is a medium of exchange. What does it do? It ensures the success of exchange by being the one item on offer that is ALWAYS acceptable. Why is it necessary? Because human beings must exchange to live together in peace, and to prosper. How important was the discovery of the idea of money? Look around you.

That covers the concept or idea of money. But an idea, as such, does not exist as a physical entity. Money must be a physical entity. Neither the "electronic" money of today nor the notes and coin which circulate as cash has any official or legal connection with Gold and Silver. But they once did, and most people think that they still do. As long as that situation persists, the modern monetary system will function.

Now, how does one go about choosing what is to be used as money? Simple, one looks for the most tradeable good, the good which is in highest demand, the good that has begun to be accepted, not as an end in itself, but as a means to an end. Money is the good that people do not want to consume, but want to use to make further exchanges easier.