Is there a coin grading service in Australia .

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by renovator, Feb 21, 2013.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Firstly i'l say im not interested in graded coins whatsoever .

I see everyone using the 2 main companies both overseas why doesnt somebody start a grading service here .?

Its not rocket science or brain surgery . Its looking at coins & giving an opinion on its condition :rolleyes: :lol:

I understand that those 2 are recognised because theve been around for a while . Like anything familiarity gives confidence for some unknown reason & people think "oh XXX done it it must be correct " & its just a generic protocol you would have to follow like they do .

Theres an opening for some enterprising aussie with a bit of patience & knowledge of coins to open such a service here .In time it will get recognised / accepted as the others .

Is there really only a couple of companies in the world that can be trusted to look at ,grade & clean coins ......

Thoughts on this perfectly good/easy business proposition welcomed. :)

2. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You're forgetting that they put the coins in nice packaging with a shiny holographic label ;)

APCGS is the only Aus one I've heard of but they don't seem all too busy of late, people are more than happy to stick with the 2 big ones. No interest in graded coins but I think they charge ~$30 for their service. Just 30 coins a week at that price gives a pretty reasonable income for something you can do on the weekend.

Capital costs would be fairly small- packaging for a few hundred and then advertising.

Thinking of doing this yourself or hiring the neighbours kids?

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-36202-apcgs.html

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Most coin shops or dealers will grade your coins for you, there might be a fee for it.

Not much interest in the slabbing though. I am a member of a couple of different coin clubs and none of the members collect slabbed coins. It is seen as a filthy American invention for people who aren't collectors, just speculators and braggers!

The rationale against them over here being that most of the people collect for the fun and grade is not as important, most coin collectors are not going for the Gem uncirculated Fleur de Coin (FDC) because they can't afford it.

I know collectors with individual coins in the $50k mark, none of those are slabbed either because they are actual numismatic items, the owner knows more about them than any grading company.

Most people know how to grade and don't need a third party to do it for them. It is expensive, the collectors buy and hold, they are not dealers so cannot pass on the cost.

Now if people wanted to get into investing in coins then it is a lot easier, you can trust the seller because they do not do the grading, there is no requirement for you to learn how to grade, you can sell it on easily because although you may not have a reputation the grading company does.

I think as people start investing in coins more then it will be a requirement, maybe it will be mandatory from an insurance point of view, who knows?

I have been to a shop which only sold slabbed coins, great if you are in a hurry and don't want to flip through hundreds of albums but half the fun is the hope that you will find a rare coin or a rare variety, unlikely if it has been slabbed, plus it is the better stuff that gets slabbed so you can't get a common coin in a common grade, the range is narrow.

The shop I went to sent away the coins for slabbing. I think it is getting closer though, one of them openned up in Hong Kong recently so it is making its way.

The only people I have seen really interested in slabbing are the people who can sell a coin for more money in a slab.

I like the idea of slabs and I was thinking of buying some empty ones to store my favourite coins in, they are protected and they can be handled without fear of dropping them, they don't slip out of coin albums either.

I don't usually grade my coins though and I don't try to upgrade any coins in my collection, more of an accumulation.

5. renovator

Nah not me im not interested . I was planting the seed for someone here to make a few bucks for doing SFA . :lol:

So there is one here i had no idea like i said im not into the BS at all .But plenty of people seem to pay extra for the plastic & grade. .

You seen what i seen 30coins X $30 = a big smile for doing FA & under $50 in materials. If theres only one theres room for another . Someone should start & grade a couple of hundred of their own coins then flood ebay & sites everywhere to get the name out there a sponsorship here maybe a banner ad some other advertising etc ....get it recognised Im sure theres money to be made for the right entrepenuer.

6. Fykus

Fykus Member Silver Stacker

i was thinking the same kinda thing a while back, but i guess it depends on how they grade it overseas. they might be using microscopes or something to inspect the coins and whatnot. people might not agree with your gradings either. what if you grade a coin and some smartass sends one overseas only to find out its a shit grade on their scale and on your scale you said its alright. youd think thered be an international standard for grading (maybe there is), that way you could follow the rules and whatnot and people would be more accepting of your grades...

or something

7. renovator

I think if you knew enough about coins & you erred on the side of caution you would be alright . There would have to be some sort of standard to adhere to or you would sink in a minute .Im sure if you done your research with enough of their coins ( looking at & examining their coins that are already graded it wouldnt take long to know what to look for or even sending them a few for grading then asking why it was only X grade ). Ive read on here that some of the gradings are questionable from even those companies..

Im thinking it would be subjective even from the same company depending on who graded it if there was 2 different people doing it ..You would need some sort of magnification maybe 8X or 10X i think any more than that & they would all look like mashed potato :lol: . . I really dont know.... thats the things you need to research from the other companies . Knowledge is power & my guess is you dont need a mountain of it to grade a coin . Most people in it for a few years would have a fair idea .

I will say im not advocating any joe to do it but im sure theres quite a few people on here that have the knowledge

8. renovator

Not a chance in hell of me doing it .Im far to busy being retired :lol: I dont know how i even found time to work b4 :p: I MIGHT do something silver related later this year if i get time ......maybe might coulda shoulda woulda but but but i cant or is it i dont want to .....lol

9. renovator

lol you know me too well . Yeah for anyone thinking retirement will be great ........think again.. You will die of boredom . If we had a gen discussion i would show you a pic of the little chook chaser i modified , the plywood boat i built from scratch complete with 13hp honda inboard ...its a rocketship hahaha,the vege garden etc etc . yep retirement is so relaxing :lol:

10. renovator

Ok since you asked :p: The bimini is a work of art & afterthought once i got fried to a crisp when fishing ... might make a real one one day ...

[​IMG]

1st attempt at making a boat ... It floats lol with the FC holden/chev paintjob