Is the Universe a Computer Simulation?

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by TeaPot&ChopSticks, Feb 7, 2013.

1. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ Essentially +1 to all that with minor unimportant nuances or alternative thoughts on relative probabilities. :D

I'll admit I hadn't heard of this simulation theory before (in a serious sense rather than from pop culture I mean).

2. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Me neither until very recently, obviously the cultural stuff which questions and challenges reality like The Matrix, Dark City and so on are some of my favourite movies.

The scientific papers are interesting reading although I confess I sometimes can't follow them all the way especially when it comes to the mathematical equations. But it's very interesting that some very smart people take the idea seriously.

And probably my favourite book ever is Ray Kurzweil's The Singularity Is Near, just because it so thorough, well thought out, well-researched and referenced and eye-opening if you've never thought about that kind of thing before.

3. bretto

bretto Active Member

This is what David Icke goes on about as well.

4. AuAussie

AuAussie New Member

This has been popping up a lot more recently and by more serious scientists.

One of the most compelling arguments I've seen for living in a simulation is that we're discovering that reality in this universe is pixelated so to speak. Things have a finite minimum size. Planck length, sub-atomic particles, minimum quanta of energy etc. Why would there be finite minimums?

Then the second argument has been that things like the quantum observer effect (observing an event changes it's outcome) seems a bit like the optimisations and cheats game programmers would use. For example if you're not looking in a certain direction, why spend processing power rendering it?

Like one of the previous posters also said - if this technology will eventually become possible to us, then we have to assume that we're already in a simulation, since it's extremely unlikely we're the first incarnation of our species, rather than the multitude of nested simulations which followed.

All very interesting. And really - does it even matter - we are what we are and if reality is "good enough" then so what?! ;-)

5. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

i have pondered this "are we in a simulation" stuff over many a night in the bush trippin' balls.
    and what effect psychedelics have on our perception of our reality and why they have these effects..

6. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

If the universe is a computer simulation i hope its not running on Windows because Bill Gates is no god ...

7. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    I don't think the world could be run in windows
    I'd be crashing every few seconds ;)
    Just like if Windows made cars :rolleyes:

8. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    source: the internet :|

ergo .... God thinks he is "IT" ... and yet so many think it is about what "IS" ....