Is the 40% the fiat of silver

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by copperhead, May 4, 2015.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

melt temps (oC) (oF)

Copper 1084 1983

Silver, Coin 879 1615
    Silver, Pure 961 1761

It's clear that 40% is an investment . The 40% is an Alloy & thats what I find troubling
    particular the melt temps are close . If you research the net you can find info on melting
    AL CU AG AU 90% silver coins & there are plenty of back yard foundries manipulating these
    mentioned metals But doing a search on melting 40% & it is a dead end ( for me )

What you get is info of the 40% investment info There is an acceptance of the silver content &
    mathematical conclusions to sell them .Thats half the Battle as value is always based on what a person is willing to buy .If people except the AG weight as fact it's a trading silver coin . Yes there is money to be made as it has a silver pedigree .
    But part of me feels cautious till a question can be answered - How hard is it to
    undo the silver copper Alloy ? It's well and good to know when the mints made the 40% yes indeed silver was used & as an alloy the coin proves qualities exceeding CU coins but the tainting of CU is evident compared to a .999 or 90% .

If undoing the Alloy was easy it would be all over the net , Consider that gold from computer boards
    is no easy task yet a few key words and your there . Silver is valuable and no one is expressing the ways to undo the Alloy bond of the AG CU 40% that are readily available and can even be found at face with some luck .
    Considering pure silver coins are more available then ever in history and the melting of 90% does go on & can be seen on youtube
    Particular to 40% with there fewer years of minting there is a reason the 40% are here - IMO they are not melted as the first choice - If at all ???
    During silver booms there low cost and or luck finds should of made them disappear like I said we have a 5 year run of there minting & there are plenty to be horded after 45 to 50 years .

I realize it's a stretch but they kinda are the silver Fiat coin . You put trust in there original composition
    the explanation of ounces of silver in 10 pounds of the 40% 1/2 , but really I think that silver is locked in that coin
    and not there . it's unobtainable .Wile it's a coin of trade I feel uncomfortable in blindly with confidence loading up . As it is a voice in the back of your mind says what is silver bottoms bad . Then you say well its industrial
    & .999 has to be desired as there is a need and pure is pure . It could be at that moment the truth will show
    of the 40% 1/2 melt value not worth the effort .
    Since CU and AG as metals are excellent conductors for modern electronics , the Alloy AG CU is usable so some value must be there but .999 it's not.
    Till I can find out the truth of undoing the Alloy bond I will proceed with caution . I will get a few here and there but I stack particular cause .999 is real and pure I can count on that . When it comes to the 40% 1/2 during a crisis price up or down
    show me the money - show me the money .

2. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2cahZ21Fs0

Finally I found this it indicated the 2 metals are sandwiched together
    so wile it will take a professional refiner to undo . It is key to note as the 40% coin from the mint
    it is not the alloy known as AgCu http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/16217327#section=Top
    so wile I will not stack in a different direction ( I will hold tight on .999 ) But I do feel having some 40%
    is safe as the coin is constructed as separate metals .
    This also holds true for the IKE 40%

when you do the math
    seven 40% coins are a touch over a silver eagle in grams (takes 7)
    so the price is low per $1 face but clearly one can find a round at a better completive price