IS THE 2016 KANGAROO SILVER COIN - 1OZ MINTED IN CANADA ?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by silversearcher, Sep 9, 2015.

1. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

Just wondering is the 2016 Kangaroo silver coin minted in Canada ? Having the 9999 purity it appears that this coin has been outsourced and minted by The Canadian Mint. Being sold as a lower premium coin with a higher purity it suggests also that this coin has not been minted in Australia. Can anyone shed some light on where this coin is minted ? Thanks

2. silversearcher

Thanks...So the production line is in Hay St Perth. I wonder if the silver planchets are imported from Canada being 9999. Wondered about the whereabouts of the planchets or origin of silver in the Spider and the Croc also. As the quality is simply not there. This is so unlike the quality of what The Perth Mint are known for. Let's hope the new Kangaroo fairs better...Cheers

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What makes you think Canada mint ?
    Pm mint make all their own blanks & Bron did explain the difference in one of his post not long ago

4. silversearcher

Why go to all the extra expense to make a low premium Government Minted coin with a higher purity ? Fair enough if you use the standard 999 planchets they have on hand. But now the Perth Mint have upped the purity of the silver and lowered the price. Is this possible in a country with lower margins and increasing overheads ? This makes me think to cut costs, these planchets are imported from Canada. They may have done a sweetheart deal with the Canadian Mint, hence the lower price. From a investigative point of view, I just look at the evidence and speculate from there.... Cheers

5. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :D ;)

I am in Perth. The new extension building is just for making this items.

6. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

I dont think the RCM would the blanks to spare seeing that they halted production on their Silver maples this year for a bit.

7. Porcello

Porcello New Member

If they only made this a 5$ coin.....maples would be dead forever this side of the workd.

8. Golden ChipMunk

;) :)

9. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

I have been questioning these 4 9,s kangas since there announcement! why change your blanks to 4 9,s just for your lowest premium bullion coin and keep the rest 3 9,s? Why not make all the new blanks 4 9,s for all coins? why in fact change at all? Its not like 4 9 maples outsell 3 9,s ASE,s and PM has introduced this new low premium coin as competition to both maple and ase sales not just maples.

I wouldnt be surprised if the blanks were from RCM,s supplier and Australian coins minted in Perth then coins for north american sales could be minted in Canada with Canadian 4 9,s silver keeping all kangas the same

I also believe the Funnel web spider could also have been minted on Canadian sourced 4 9,s as a trial run and the reason they have all milked up just like Maples.

Just a personal theory but its plausible! Why change your blanks for just one coin when they have worked so well thus far on all other coins and will continue to do so on "all other coins"?

10. Golden ChipMunk

W rong

:lol: :lol:

The problems have been Fixed :) , hopefully they will service this problems from time to time... ;)

11. Northerncoins

Northerncoins New Member Silver Stacker

We shall see.... honestly i don't know why all mints cant get their act together and fix this problem, I think its gone on long enough.

12. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

one way to stop milk spots is don't buy them I sure wont buy any know milk coins , that's the only way to stop it :D vote with your wallet !

13. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

RCM mint their own blanks. Perth Mint mint their own blanks. That's definitive.

They're not in business with each other. More like arch nemesis competitors :)

14. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Perth Mint and the Royal Canadian Mint have been in a pissing contest for a while about who can make the biggest gold coin, who can stick the most bling on a coin, who can make the nicest bars, etc.

The 4x9s kangaroo is just the Perth Mint competing with the RCM on technical specs, if for no other reason than they have to compete with someone.

15. silversearcher

There is always is a halt or a shortage at this time of year. When all the new season coins are released the same old story is heard. Usually the "SILVER SHORTAGE" word gets bandied about. Thus creating another over inflated stimulus with premiums against spot price. Seen it all before. And I expect to see happen again again. I'll wait it out once more.....Cheers

16. silversearcher

Of course they make their own blanks. Doesn't mean they don't sell their own blanks to other mints. Perth Mint do make blanks and export them ( Perth Mint advertise this ). No reason why The Canadian Mint doesn't do the same. Besides, if Perth Mint are now making 9999 blanks, wouldn't you want the use most pure silver in ALL COINS rather than 999 purity ? Unless that super pure silver is known to milk spot or have issues. Sorry GP, the new Kanga may well be struck in Perth, but I doubt that the origin of the silver does. And the same goes for Croc and the spider, something doesn't seem right. But hey, for those who just want cheap silver and are happy to resell when spot is higher this may fit the bill. They are what they are - A LOW PREMIUM COIN ...They have no collector value.

The Perth Mint and is now wholly owned by the Government of Western Australia and trades under the name "The Perth Mint". Under the current freedom of information laws such information should be able to obtain ( unless silver importation is - TOP SECRET and is exclusive under the current act ). No reason why any tax paying Australian citizen can't ask.....

Cheers

17. silversearcher

Let's see if the problem has been fixed ? I'll remember your quote in 12 months time. I sincerely hope the PM have rectified the " Milk Spot" issue as they have made some wonderful bullion in their time. Usually within 3-4 weeks after release there will stackers out there showing milk spotted coins within the new series. I doubt we will even have to wait 12 months...Let's see... Unless, you have such inside info the rest of us are not privy to ? But I will go with my gut on this and say the problem will still be there.....Cheers

18. silversearcher

I agree Fishtaco...It doesn't seem plausible that any of these coins in this series are " WHOLLY " Australian. Even the damn tubes when full rattle. Thus damaging coins during transport. Does this ring true to the standard of the Perth Mint ? Perth Mint are usually more professional with their product...This all sounds like cost cutting to me. And sourcing the cheapest tender.......Cheers

19. Golden ChipMunk

:rolleyes:

Canada made???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Canada Supplied Blanks???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Source??? :p

Again & again :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Perth have their own refinery and their own factory.
    They refine Silver and Gold... ;)

http://www.goldbarsworldwide.com/PDF/RB_1_PerthMintRefinery.pdf

20. silversearcher

Well said....So true. I've suspended all my purchases of Perth Mint stuff. No point spending extra on the premium if they can milk up. Yep, vote with you wallet. That will fix the milk spot...