Is it worth stacking/saving "low mintage" aussie coins

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Andy28, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

By "low mintage" i mean semi common ones i have a chance of finding in change, such as the 2000 or 2005 mob of roos. Basically those in the 5-9 million mintage range, as opposed the 20-40 million range. To me it still seems like a heck of a lot of coins out there for the circulated ones to be worth anything, yet i have seen a few for sale. What do you think?

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Most people buying coins for their collection are looking for the Mint sets to cut up.

There are people who are not interested in spending $30 just to get one coin though and they usually like to get a cheaper one. They prefer to get one pulled straight from a bag or roll with minimal scuff marks but even these can be quite expensive.

Getting coins from circulation is not a bad way of getting them, you can get them at face value for a start and anything extra you can get for them is a bonus.

I have done this a lot but I am not sure that it is ever going to make much money. I used to go to the bank and get $200 of 50 cent coins or $1 coins, you spend a day sorting through them and take all the rubbish back to the bank and deposit them.

You usually find a few interesting coins but really it is more for fun than any thing else. Most coins are damaged far beyond what a collector would want.

You really need to be grabbing the 2013 coins now and sitting on them for a few years, hopefully you will pick up a few varieties, which usually take a few years to be discovered.

3. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

yeah that seems about right. I dont think the numismatic game is for me!

4. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

+1

5. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

The other half spent a long time finishing off a collection of uncirculated 50c coins, and I mean all of them, incused, anniversary releases and limited editions, you name it he tracked it down.

The set included every release and variation in uncirculated condition.

It took a lot of time and research but the collection was impressive.

If you want to collect numismatic currency coins treat it as a labour of love and an exercise in patience. Have an idea of what you're trying to achieve and have an end game. (ie daughters are trying to put togeather a collection of every year of the 5c peice just for fun.)

You can't just hope to chance upon finding anything of value in your change but putting togeather a set is an education itself.

In the end the 50c collection has been split up with some return on investment, and some parts remain with us in the hope that the little ones may see a greater return than we did.

I have to say that with all the time he put into it I wouldn't recommend it as a sound business decision, it's more of a hobby.

(then again the fact that it kept him out of my hair while putting the set togeather does make it almost priceless to me :D )

6. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

If you can buy 2005 rolls cheaply enough they will certainly be a very good investment as the 2005 Mob Of Roos is arguably the lowest MOR release - 5.8m.
    (The '92 MOR may have a mintage of only .8m. -but very difficult to confirm!)
    Individual Unc 2005 coins sell for up to $12 on eBay!
    The 2005 is thought to be a "mule" as all 2005 coins were planned to be Dancing Man and the MOR was minted in error??

The 2010 MOR was a real flash in the pan, selling for over $100 a Security roll on eBay, based on misinformation that the mintage (claimed by many sellers)
    was only 3.9m.

RAMINT annual reports showed the true mintage of the 2010 to be over 20m.
    Unusual coin, in that the mint produced 2010 dated coins in the period 1st July 2011 to 30th June 2012.

$1 Mob of Roos 2010 - 20,225,0000 (3.9m 2009/10 + 7.25m 2010/11 + 9.105m 2011/12)

I grab all 2005 rolls I can if at a fair price.

Other low mintage Aussie coins worth collecting are:

2011 $2 1.8m* - Very tough = Now hard to find
    2012 $2 1.8m* - Now hard to find
    (*Final numbers for the 2011 and 2011 $2 coins will be known after the RA Mint releases its Annual Report in October 2013.
    I believe the 2011 and 2012 generics will be at mintages stated above.)

2012 $2 5m+ - (Remembrance Day Poppy) 5m minimum release Remembrance Day 2012. More appeared about a month
    ago so I suspect minimum is about 10m?
    2013 $2 2.0m <-----Coronation Coin with purple circle around St Edward's crown. Released on 21st June 2013 but tough
    to find in change.

I have been into banks this week where staff had not yet seen one of these coins even though it is 5 weeks since it was released!

The prettiest coin ever made for circulation by the RA mint. Within a business day of its release it was selling on eBay for $8.
    Seems that when a shopper gets one in change they become a "collector" as you never see that coin again. An issue with the
    coloured coin is that the purple "enamel" appears to be chipping or falling off! The longer this coin is circulated the rougher it will
    look.

Best potentail investment $2 coin ever! Easy $20 -$50 with 12 months for UNC coins! And the greatest potential as an investment
    for any circulated non-error decimal coin.

[​IMG]
    I have UNC+ 2013 $2 Coronation coins availabe for $10 per coin in lots of 100 or 1000.

Best way to collect coins is straight from Security Bags or rolls at your bank.
    (The RA Mint will no longer offer coins in rolls after current stocks are exhausted!)
    Security cash companies will be the only source of UNC rolls (and UNC bags).
    ...and rolls are becoming rarer due to the easy tear plastic baggies gaining poplularity with retailers.
    All rolls of new coins should be grabbed with much glee and jumping up and down with happiness.

OR Grab a 1000 coin bag at your bank and "noodle" for what you can find.
    Might even find a 2000 mule!

NUNISMATICS is a Great hobby and lots of exciting times ahead!

Sulla

7. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2007 $1

Mob of roos.

30, 000 mintage?

Not issued for circulation .

Comments?

8. SULLA

Boneyard.

The coin you refer to - 2007 MOR was never minted / released (individually) by the RA MINT. It may have appeared in sets etc.
    Do you have a link?

In 2007 a number of purely Collector coins were issued by the mint for a premium price. The MINT actually tries to dictate to the market.
    They take a "special" coin, stick it to a piece of cardboard and charge 15 times face value for it!

Some have been successful, but most languish around their issue price.

I recommend that any new collector start with circulating coins and if their interest develops they then develop more refined interests.

NOTE:
    The only time a Dealer refers to a Catalogue Value (CV) is when he wants to sell you a coin!
    If the dealer is buying - the CV has little value!

=================================================================

Another great coin to look out for in your change is the 2011 10 cent coin.
    Hard to find but they still show up in change.

Only 1.75m minted.

With numismatics (notes or coins), the better the condition - the greater the value.

e.g An UNC (uncirculated) coin may have a catalogue value of $50, but a coin in what is known as "very good" condition (where you can still read the date)
    may only be worth $5.00.

Coin gradings are somewhat misleading.

The worst condition is VERY GOOD. Which really should be VERY BAD!
    Next is FINE, then VERY FINE, EXTRA FINE, aUNC (almost Uncirculated), then UNC.

Above UNC we CHOICE UNC, GEM and PROOF.

For best results collecting, we really need to play in the UNC area for contemporary (decimal) coins.

Most of the year 2000 MOR coins out there are in VERY FINE condition and in my opinion are a waste of collection space.

To establish a good collection you really need to strive for UNC coins.

9. silverzman

silverzman Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi Sulla,

i have been to alot of branches no one seems to have them. Do i need to get a 1000 bag of them and find them? What are they security companies your talking about?

10. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

I have tried my local bank and bought a few $50 bags with only 2012 and 2013 regular coins. I have a few post offices holding onto them for me (when they remember) but most places haven't seen the new $2 coins

11. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

I've seen em..... looking at some straight from the bag right now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

Well lucky you! I don't come across change as I'm in a call centre :(

13. SULLA

silverzman

If you can find a "sack" of 40 new 2013 $2 coin bags grab the sack. Ask the bank if they have new 2013 $2 coins in Security bags (red bags). Often the bank will have a few bags available if they get them.

On one day recently I went to numerous banks. Most get the red security sacks, but not all get the new 2013 $2 coins. One bank 4 different branches:
    1. New 2013 $2 coins in sacks (40 x $50 red bags).
    2. Get rolls only - not red plastic bags. Coins were used/mixed.
    3. Get rolls only - not red plastic bags. Coins were used/mixed. Not aware of Coronation coin.
    4. New 2013 $2 coins in sacks (40 x $50 red bags).

Have had most success with Westpac.
    Appears that Armaguard provide the new 2013 sacks.
    Some branches are serviced by Toll?

Have not seen new 2013 $2 coins in rolls at all except for one lot found at ANZ by a friend about three weeks ago.
    These are green paper rolls with Chubb branding. He opened one roll but did not find any Coronation coins. He is selling a roll on eBay now.
    Currently at $128. Not bad for an outlay of $50. Plus $2 for the Coronation coin.

Sa_bogan

The 2012 Aboriginal Elder (generic) coins are are rare!
    Hang on to them in any condition.

2013 generic I think will be a fairly large mintage because 2011 and 2012 were very low.

I am happy to trade UNC+ Coronation coins for 999 silver!

14. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The SHTF rule is to have a couple of thousand dollars in cash if needed. I have started collecting the $2 poppy and coronation coins. I have about $200 worth. They may or not be worth anything in the future but i tell myself that they are part of my contingency plan. i would say the same to you. Collect what you think is worthwhile, it's a bit of fun, best case you make a profit, worst case is you have some emergency cash.

15. silverzman

Idiots at wespac told me they had the red bags. After waiting 30 mins, i gave them the money the teller went to get the bag. Then came back with rolls. I didnt have time so just took that. I found 20 2012 coins, some remembrance and some just the generic 2012 ones. Found 1 2013 coin.

So out of 1000 coins i got 20 worth keeping.

16. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

I got my agents to do this for me at no extra cost. Promise them a magnum.

( an ice-cream ) thats all it takes.

17. silverzman

I'm pretty sure child protective services wouldn't like that ;-)

18. silverzman

Well try 1 more time. Deposited the 2k back and got 3200 more