Is it worth getting some of my best UNC Florins graded ?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Dynoman, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

I have a small select collection of nice florins and was considering having the best of them graded.

Anyone have any experience with this process ? Particularly Aus Florins.

[​IMG]

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Ooh nice. I assume you mean NCG/PCGS slabbed grading?

3. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Yeah NGC or PCGS depends on which is easiest

4. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

If you're doing it for yourself, then definitely, if just to sell...maybe. I can see where your curiosity would motivate you to have them slabbed. I would, just to know, not really that expensive IMO

5. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Yes but you have to be a financial member or something ? Or can you use a third party ?

6. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

You have to join, I'm a free member NGC Collector Society (read cheapskate LOL) so I don't get to submit, but they have three paid memberships available and even the least expensive tier gets to submit coins for grading, effectively allowing anyone to submit.

7. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

8. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

9. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Yeah, I thought I might do the 39er when I get some 2012 silver pandas and maybe have a couple of my gold pesos graded for the helluvit

10. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Cert Graded / Slabbed coins seem to be worth a lot more than the cost of the grading plus the numismatic value. If you only care to take the time to submit them. It's probably the best way to preserve & catalogue them as well.

11. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

It certainly can be, especially with what you have. To a collector a nice graded coin such as yours would be worth well more than spot IMO

12. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Hey Dyno, without knowing your exact circumstance or experience please take that into account with the comments. I am going to assume that you know a lot about grading as most punters do not have 34-35 centenary florins in their collection :) I would only send off to grading if it was going to return a MS60+ hopefully a MS63/64 as you run the risk of it coming back at a AU58 as example then that to me is not really worth it, because you have limited that grade to that value. As most collectors will grade differently, once it has been slabbed that is it. You may feel it is VF+ or aUNC and your buyer may actually feel it is aUNC rather than VF+ etc... So by making sure it is going to get a very high grade takes out that variable, so even if someone thinks it is maybe a UNC you have it now graded as chUNC I hope that made some sense...

I joined PCGS for a flat rate which includes vouchers for slabbing, I am putting together my best coins to be done. It is not cheap but in the long run I see benefits.

13. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Cheers Austacker, personally I a lot of dealers tend to state the UNC grade for their 2x2 holder sales & then when you look closer you'll find quite a bit of bag damage on 99% of the florins I've seen.

Where a Florin was taken from the press and preserved as a mint proof? I haven't seen very many examples of that. Any coin like that from any year would have to be worth a considerable sum.

Frankly, I wouldn't imagine any of my so called UNC Florins going much more than 66 from what I have seen as a benchmark.

I do have some really beautiful PH 1927's amongst the mix though.

14. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

i've got 20 pieces UNC florin, most of them are post 1946, hard to find pre decimal UNC florin

15. oasis

oasis Member

Do you just mean contact marks from other coins? Technically they would still be considered UNC, back then the minted coins were dumped into bags from conveyor belts where they would come into contact with other coins and pick up marks. It's the combination of contact marks and quality of strike which differentiates UNC grades from Choice/Gem/FDC grades.

A lot of people go by the rule of thumb that a coin should not be professionally slabbed unless it catalogues for $1000 or more to justify the costs.