Is it time to import third worldians to replace our cars.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by predecimal, Dec 22, 2010.

1. predecimal

predecimal Guest

Just been doing the sums on how to save the world, whilst eradicating world poverty, and think the answer is increasing the asylum intake.

If an australian buys a $30,000 car, after 5 years the car is worth $10,000. In addition, by tying up $30,000 for 5 years, the owner will forgo approx $9,000 in interest. Thus the car costs $29,000 over 5 years. $5800 per year.

At 20000 kilomteres per year (55 kilomteres per day), a car that runs at 10 litres to 100 kilometres will use 2000 litres per year @$1.40 per litre = $2800 a year.

$2800 petrol
    $5800 depreciation and lost interest
    $1500 maintenance
    $2000 insurance and rego

$12100 a year to run or 60.5 cents a kilometre. On the other hand

A rickshaw can be had for $1000. The average person can walk 6 kilometres per hour (maybe run 10 kilometres per hour), thus by every australian having their own rickshaw driver, we could employ millions for $3 to $6 per hour. Remembering that a large percentage of third world live on less than $2 a day. And at the same time we could cut down our dependance on non renewable resources.

Drive the car 10 k's to work at a cost of $6.50 (and $20 parking fee). Nah take the rickshaw for $5 instead (read the paper, finish breakfast, have a sleep)
    Old ladies get taxi 3 kilometres home from shops at $7. Nah take the rickshaw for $2 instead

The asians are going the wrong way.

2. silverfunk

silverfunk New Member

How do you expect these "asylum" seekers to live in Australia earning between $3-6 aud per hour?

Our cities are not dense nor populated enough to support this idea.

Goto dhaka on the other hand and rickshaws make perfect sense.

3. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

You can crunch all the numbers and come out with a very neat solution as long as you disregard the "human factor" :)
    predecimel,would you pull some fat aussie in a rickshaw for 3- 6 bucks an hour?

4. predecimal

predecimal Guest

I didnt say it would be easy on $3 an hour. The worlds GDP is $58 trillion a year. Divide that by 2 and you probably get a rough estimate of the worlds wages. Thus on average, every human being on earth earns $5000 a year. for a 40 hour work week, that averages $2.50 per hour (yeah i've taken alot of liberties with these assumptions). So in one foul swoop, I could take people who are on the lowest wages in the world (and the poorest people in the world) , and immediately offer them wages that are 20% above the average wage of all the countries in the world combined.

Density doesnt need to come into it. The comparisons are straight swaps between cost of car per kilometre and cost of rickshaw puller per kilometre. Doesnt matter if the kilometre occurred in sydney or broken hill.

No I wouldnt. But I bet you I could find hundreds of millions of people, who live in abject poverty, who scavenge in rubbish dumps for food (if their country can afford rubbish dumps), who would be willing to do it.

5. silverfunk

silverfunk New Member

i live in the burbs ... 22km from the cbd where i work.
    i don't think a rickshaw driver is going to have fun taking me to work each morning..

6. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

How much would you pull a fat aussie in a rickshaw for?

Haha.

7. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

Moreover rickshaws dont have aircon so you'd have to think of how to cool off your customers. Since this is about human effort, blowing might be a cheap option.

And that begs the question of how much extra if you had to pull and blow a fat aussie in a rickshaw?

8. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's enough here ,they can't even drive a cab.
    And you want to flood the market with cheap labor.
    All your plan will do is drop the price of labor in the country

9. perthsilver

perthsilver Member Silver Stacker

If you attach a bike with gears, even a 10 year old could haul around a fat aussie.

10. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Try that on hill in Tassie ,or the Punt rd Hill in Melbourne:rolleyes:

11. silverfunk

silverfunk New Member

i just cant picture rickshaws being a part of our cities of the future

im still waiting for the hoverboard..

[​IMG]

Source:http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/backtothefuture_hoverboard_01.jpg

12. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

The wait for a taxi is long enough. Imagine calling the rickshaw company and saying... "I'm late for work can you make it snappy!"

The benefit of rickshaws is that they double as accommodation for many drivers. I felt a bit silly but i liked them in Vietnam. Definately preferred the scooter though.

$320 if you are in Victoria...Item number: 290500455423

Or $1500 for a more deluxe model in Alstonville...Item number: 170496380700

13. Naphthalene Man

It may reduce our obesity problem - the runners/riders get their heart rate moving... the customers sweat it out in summer...
    Love the idea.
    Newcastle is pretty flat.... that gives me an idea...

14. Stedlar

Stedlar Active Member

Travelling everywhere at 3km per hour. Taking the family of 5 to the beach. 5 x rickshaws, 20 hour return trip.

Lol

15. perthsilver

perthsilver Member Silver Stacker

I took one in London. Although it did cost me 20 pound for about 10 mins. Good times.

16. Naphthalene Man

By spreading out the time it takes to get there it just reduces the traffic problems and congestion at the beach. It has worked with the coal ships offshore at Newcastle :D

17. predecimal

predecimal Guest

I am going to make alot of assumptions here. You travel 220 kilometres per week, running a car for 4 hours, producing 50 kilowatts per hour. So to get to work it has taken the energy to produce 200 kilowatt hour. If you are an extremely fit person, when you get to work, you could produce 250 watts per hour (0f human power) . Over a 38 hour week, your total would come to 9.5 kilowatt hour.

10 percent of the rickshaw drivers would have fun taking you to work, the other 90% would simply ask if going to work (in this manner) has any nett benefits for the human race.

18. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

predecimal, your analytic talents should be guided elsewhere.

:) but i do follow ze logic

19. silverfunk

silverfunk New Member

i take the train to work..

:lol:

i but i understand yr logic.

20. predecimal

predecimal Guest

Its just a topic to get people thinking outside the square. Sort of the opposite to sending 7000 politicians and experts from around the world to cancun, on jumbo jets, to try and work out ways you reduce climate change, or having bob brown (the leader of the greens) travelling to canberra from tassy each week, and back again to attend work.

If we at silver stackers cant change the world, then where, where, where will it start?

Had a funny feeling you might say that, but I was left with so many assumptions to make. Efficiency of pubic transport hey, maybe thats another thread.