Is it safe out there?

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by yennus, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I think you will feel much safer exploring for Panda's than for Gold. Seriously though it would be like me looking for Panda's in China I would be totally out of my comfort zone, not know where to go and who to trust etc...

If you are not familiar a bit with the outback DO NOT GO, people die. If you want to take a nice trip and do a bit of prospecting. Go on one of the tours in Kalgoorlie or several others around Oz.

I do not think it is overly dangerous, but there are risks. Have you ever done any 4WD before ? Can you get out of a bog by yourself with the equipment you have. Can you change a spare tyre by yourself etc... Will your family handle the FLIES, FLIES and more FLIES, get a hat net seriously. There are a heap of what if's, cooking on campfire or gas, fire safety.

If you are serious, just understand the risks and make sure you have a good understanding of what can go wrong, because it probably will. I have heard of people taking 2 spare tyres, to blow 3 over 20k's now what do you do ? Middle of nowhere and no transport.

Should you start walking back ?
    Should you stay with your vehicle ?
    You have a satellite E-Birb don't you etc...

Like anything knowledge. Don't worry to much about the weirdos, just know where you are going and make sure your GPS is accurate. That can solve a lot of arguments.

Edit - A cold beer can cool a lot of arguments :) not too many though then you get other problems. One for the chat and one for them to leave with.
    Edit/Edit - Make sure you have Full strength FWIW

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Austacker and STC! Pearls of wisdom!

The logistics I think are easy (spare tyres, water, satellite phone, etc)... it's the crazy two-legged animals, the 0.0001% I'm concerned about.

I think those tours might be good place to start :)

3. BIGGRIN

BIGGRIN Member

The bush, its a hoot...

Just be a bit of a boy scout (be prepared) and find some partners (experienced) who are happy to take the less experienced out (induction) in the first instance etc.

My first trip into the desert with work was in the early 1990's. Sent out Balgo/Lake Gregory way by myself [south of Halls Creek - past Wolf Creek Crater- LOL]. No off road 4WD experience, no maps, no compass and no clue. I had to make a few turns turns here there on my way to Lake Gregory (following word of mouth directions from the locals). Fortunately, I had the foresight to stick an empty can on a fence post or the like each time I changed direction, so I could use them for the return trip. At one point on the return trip from Lake Gregory to the Tanami Road, I looked into the rear vision mirror and saw one of the cans I placed on a fence picket passing into the distance. I was going in the wrong direction heading out into god knows where... nearly made it into the Darwin awards...

A bit of planning and common sense and you will not end up in stupid scenarios that can put you in harms way.

These stories aside, like I said, the bush is a hoot.

BG

4. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

I did exactly that a few weeks ago.

5. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good thread and good advice.
    Thanks for all the posts.

Outback Australia can eat you up & bury your bones.

6. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry DanDee, I gotta say it....

Where you bent over at the time? :lol:

7. Eureka Moments

Rural Victoria doesnt seem to be littered with bodies from serial killers to my knowledge. Apologies to any currently active serial killers if Im wrong.

I suppose it comes down to the quality of the State whos rural outback you wish to explore as to whether you may be safe. :)

8. DanDee

From time to time, during my life, I have caused others to squeal, and I myself, have done the squealing. I reget nothing! :eek:

9. DanDee

I yam wot I yam an dats all dat I yam. :|

10. Eureka Moments

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8[/youtube]

11. Byron

Byron Guest

Tried detecting once. 5 day stretch in far west NSW. Definately not for the family and kids. Clouds of flies trying to enter your mouth and nose, had to wear a net around my head as i couldn't handle it. They still found a way in. It's hot, dusty, no showers, no toilets, so just find a spot and squat.

The isolation can make you a little paranoid. I was hungover one morning and decided to stay at the campsite on my own as my mate went off detecting. The wind plays tricks with you. thought i heard voices and kept thinking at any time some maniac would just sneak up behind me and appear out of nowhere.

Don't get me wrong it was a great experience, even though i found nothing.

I also have to add there are some very eccentric people (weirdos) living in those small towns. Met several of them under good circumstances and wouldn't like to meet them under bad ones.

And if you are of Asian appearance you really stand out like a sore thumb, old prejudices are alive and well with some of these people.

Finally unless you live within easy access to goldfields, don't know if the time/effort/reward is worth it. Better off working extra hours and buying some Au with the cash.

12. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

Fear tha cuntry folk. But Burt was leaden thim on with thait shoirt!

13. yennus

14. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm sorry I gave you the scary part first panda friend.

If you are in air-con anything big enough for a small fam the open road in Australia has millions of wonderful things to explore that should be safe, family friendly & acceptable to you, including prospecting. Use main-stream Tourist information, Below link is for WA (sorry, I'm so tired!)
    http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/about-us.html

I regret if I discouraged you in any way, so many people have great trips & hope you do too.

If you live to tell the tale (jk) - please do !

15. yennus

It's all good STC. :)

I appreciate your help :)

Hopefully it won't be long till I can give this game of prospecting a go :)

16. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

Do it Yennus, its a great experience. The most frightening thing is cows and camels coming into your camp of a night.
    Having an Epirb close at hand never hurts, get good at plugging tyres and carry plenty of water.

17. Eureka Moments

[​IMG]

There are many different types of hazards and dangers out the bush.

18. yennus

AHahha :)

19. Eureka Moments

Near the top of my list of things you need is copious quantities of insect repellent.

"Down Down" spray has identical ingredients to tropical strength aerogard at half the price and does the job. Stuff stinks but I reckon if it smells cute it is less likely to be effective.

The aerosol cans are recommended as they have several other uses. It can be used as a substitute for mace spray for pesky serial killers and also can potentially be used as a blowtorch. The can itself can be used as an improvised weapon....better than nothing if you dont own or carry actual weapons.

If you also take some steel wool you can polish the base of the can and use it to light a fire by concentrating sunlight. Also can attract spotter planes if you get lost. Steel wool can be also used as kindling to light a fire.

20. jparrie

jparrie Member