is it rare?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by dragafem, Nov 10, 2012.

1. needler420

needler420 Member

That's my whole point very few people but an Aussie would know that. While a general consensus would think of FL. Go on another forum or website that's not based out of USA or Aussie and ask them what location they think of when they hear "sunshine state" your answer is going to be FL.

Also imo from what I read about other posters your the last one who should be using the word respect. I just read a thread in prospecting where you got rude with someone and literally like 4-5 posters were calling you out on it.

2. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You miss my point, Sir.

80% of this particular sites readers are Australian. This is not Googleland where the biggest population or most Wiki entries wins. It's a precious metals forum operating out of Australia.

If you were speaking primarily to your fine fellow Countrymen you would have a good point....but you aren't.

"Pull your head in" might be an Aussie phrase you may wish to familiarise yourself with.

I can give you many more examples, but modesty forbids me at this stage.

The State of Victoria, Australia has been known for many years as the "Garden State". I suppose there's a far more wonderful US State that owns that term too?

3. needler420

needler420 Member

Actually when you google " garden state" all that comes up is the movie and a place in New Jersey USA. So again its something only Aussies would mainly know. I don't know maybe google is biased with USA lol. If someone doesn't tell you and you can't research it online or in books etc. then how do you expect someone else to know?

4. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

I am certain that wikipedia isnt an Australian site.
    Here is an excerpt (not altered) from their page referencing the 'Sunshine State'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_State

Having read that, it is interesting to note the order in which it is placed, I do not know if Wikipedia places more popular/likely terms at the top like google or whether there is any method to it.
    Either way it is very available for research online.

Pretty decent derail going on here.
    -------------------------------------------

Nice coin. ill give you face value :p

5. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Better not mention Melbourne on here any more without saying Vic. Australia for fear of confusing those in the USA, particularly Florida. :lol:

6. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

You're forgetting that Google geolocates where you are searching from, and presents the most relevant hits for your location. If you Google 'sunshine state' from within Australia, you'll mostly get references to Queensland (for me, 7 out of the first 10 results refer to Queensland, 2 refer to the movie, and 1 is the Wikipedia link that mentions both Queensland and Florida).

'Worldwide' I expect neither is particularly known as the sunshine state - knowledge of individual states' slogans (either US or Australian) is probably not widespread outside those countries.

7. needler420

needler420 Member

Well that makes a lot more sense now thanks. Google is biased to my location lol I was half right lol.

The reason it comes up in that order for you is basically I think what was said above. It has to do with your location. Though as a reference you can see like four of those was reference to FL and one for Aussie. That's why I made that general consensus statement earlier. Even when an aussie googles it from their location it still shows a lot of reference to FL. Not that this is a contest. I'm just showing why I thought that poster meant FL and not aussie. Some of you were looking at me like I was confused for thinking FL.

8. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

No, not on Wikipedia it doesn't. That's a static page (which will always appear the same), not a search result (ala Google, which is dynamically generated). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Apparently a Queenslander must have written that Wiki page :p :D

9. needler420

needler420 Member

I think four references to FL vs being being the 1st on the list kinds of out weighs that.:D

Sunshine State may refer to:

The nickname of the Australian state of Queensland
    The nickname of the U.S. state of Florida; it also has been used for New Mexico, California, and South Dakota
    Sunshine State (film), a 2002 film set in Florida
    Florida's Turnpike, originally known as the Sunshine State Parkway
    Sunshine State, a webcomic by Graham Nolan ( this comic is also based out of FL)

10. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Florida, get shot one day, overdose the next :)

11. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

why would you say that?have you been there?

12. needler420

needler420 Member

Beats death by a stingray.