Is anyone excited about the Zeus silver coin coming out by Perth mint?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by lshallperish, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Scope

Scope New Member

Buy the next Gods of Olympus coins and instantly double your profit. Or buy silver bullion and wait till spot prices reach $40 in who knows long how?

I know what I'll be buying...

2. a1nipper

a1nipper New Member

I wish I had more money

3. lshallperish

lshallperish New Member

Show me where a coin is sold for 340 bucks.. what is it an ounce of coin worth 340? my god..people talking about silver reaching 100 and if it ever does how they would be swimming in cash.. well 340... i might go buy america.. or china

4. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

people been paying around $440 for that coin ishallperish.. im sorry i cant show u one that only sold for $340 :( i guess your right..

sold listing

[​IMG]

5. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:
    you point out the coin
    And than you go bagging it because of the premium :lol:
    Just stick to bullion than

6. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Well, rarity and quantity exclude eachother, and buying america or china gonna need quantity I believe haha.
    Actually, I became a more numismatic buyer, and I just discovered it myself today.
    Before, I bought the cheapest bullion that has a design I like. I started with ASE's when their % premium was much lower than today, then I saw a special price for Phils and my next big (second) purchase were Phils.
    Then, I decided to go for kilocoins (premium also low), and chosed the Lunars.
    And then the first stray away from the cheapest happened: Libertad kilocoins. I found their design marvellous, and was willing to pay abit more, and so far, when I look at their availability here (near zero) and their price tag (way expensive) it looks like having been a better decision also in the storing extra value aspect. Of course, spot price trend overruled the differences but thats another story.
    And earlier this year, I bought a few nearly pure numismatics 'old junk' (upto twice spot).
    And yesterday, I decided to buy some dozens Mulligan Mint (think it doesnt exist anymore due to that lawsuit) silver coins of a seller in my region, including double spot priced proofs from 2009. Basically his entire stock of a few specific designs.
    So my attitude towards numismatics, is changing. I still only buy designs I personally like too, but I think I'm able to recognize a 'good' coin as such, which 'good' being enough other people also liking it, and willing to pay more too. Resulting in the end being the same as with common bullion, only with net difference being having possessed a 'more nice' coin.
    Those high reliefs though, I'm rather wary of them for another reason, they may be very prone to degradation of any kind. See, how well the design may be, an tarnished/worn/whatever ugly coin stays... ugly. Proof coins, with a more flat surface / no complex let alone high relief design; appear to me as a better storage of beauty and 'message'.
    Just a practical reason.
    Those John Galt coins from former Mulligan Mint appear as a good choice to me. Because of the variety reasons:
    - Having a strong symbolic (a, if not the, main character in Ayn Rands novel Atlas Shrugged)
    - The impressive design of the character holding the Earth.
    - Enough flat - light mirroring so shiny blinking surface
    - Having an equally strong message: money is the source of all good
    - producer Mulligan Mint is a story on its own, lawsuit and ceased business.
    So I think these coins have a bright future.
    So I decided to buy those that are available for sale, in the short term. And actually, I liked the dealer, maybe because similar minded make similar decisions.
    Numismatic reasons. And will be my biggest numismatic purchase so far.

7. Scope

Scope New Member

Do a completed ebay sales search. Every single Zeus coin sold on ebay this month, went for more than $340 with many of these coins selling for well over $400.

8. Pirocco

The real question, for the buying side, is what those people that pay these prices now, will receive in a future.
    Who will have been the smartest of the present, those sellers, or those buyers?
    THAT is the real question. :D

9. ego2spare

i think the window to make a profit on any coin in any series is to sell right around the release of the last coin. people want to collect what is relevant and ongoing. when a series stops the prices fall. no one wants to start collecting a perth mint series of coins that ended 2 years ago. people who have bought at $350 now i feel will still make a profit if kept until the last coin.

10. Pirocco

I find it a weird attitude, if your view is really a general case and not a bias. Why wouldnt people not want to collect coins of series that aren't produced anymore.
    In my region, auction sites are stuffed with people that buy coins from a century and a half, and longer ago, hunting for all years and all mint marks and specialties. Production ceased since a century, yet people still hunt for them. So your statement surely doesnt apply here.
    So I wonder why the people that you see don't want to collect ended series. Does it require an ongoing production to make a coin attractable? I rather thought the opposite, ceased production coins increasing due to more scarce and not available upon demand anymore (still in the limited mintage fashion ofcourse)
    I rather think that people that buy at already alot increased prices, will discover sooner or later (it also doesnt really matter, what counts is the price not the time) than the last coin, that the price isn't what they thought it would be. These 'make easy money' methods have the tendency to end abrupt. No matter when. Because the measuring of their value alters the readed output haha.

11. ego2spare

people dont collect coins in a short series with the intention of keeping them forever unless they are old, buying them for a grandchild, using them decoratively, something sentimental etc. at the start of every series stackers, flippers, investors buy them all up with the intention of selling them again for a profit. after the series ends, most of the coins will get filtered down to and ends up with, the people i mentioned. we should all know, not so deep down that all these very short run, coloured, opal, high relief, tuvalu, down under, dr who, 100 years of, transformers, pieces of crap new series they come up with almost weekly, are just stuff the perth mint pumps out to sell an oz for $120. they are not in any way long term investments. there were no 3 month collector series a century and a half ago. they are the true numismatic coins. governemnt previously and current circulating coins will always be collectable. old coins are still ongoing, they have a date on them that continues on to the coins we circulate today. the series has not ended. (which is why kooks and lunars are a good idea)
    you should not get a three coins series with a cartoon megatron and stamped tuvalu mixed up with real numis coins.

12. lshallperish

lshallperish New Member

13. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

14. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

15. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

You don't have to be old to collect coins that are not of a continuing series or are a short series. I agree in that the demand probably falls after a series has ended, however there are still other collectors who will collect. Will just be harder to sell multiples. But I don't see any harm in collecting numismatic coins and holding them long term, if not a large quantity of each specific coin then there shouldn't be any issues reselling them, and they should hold there value. (Depending on what coin it is obviously)

Perth Mint lunar series 1 are still very collected even though the series has ended. As more and more people start collecting perth mint coins the value of this first series of lunar coins may even increase a lot more.

The Perth mint High Relief koala, Kook, Kangaroo, lunar 2 are all an ongoing series. And although the gods of Olympus coins are only a 3 coins in the series I still believe they will hold there value well after the series has ended. Unless perth mint release a zillion load of coins with similar designs. Either way, I will hold until I am old as I bought it for my collection and not for an investment.

16. Pirocco

If demand really falls after the last coin of the series was released, then it has to be because the people that actually want these coins, have them. The others being people that actually didnt want these coins, only bought them in a quickquick (first day sold out) fashion in order to inflict the people that really want these coins, a higher price, as to reap some cheap $ in the process.
    Could that be the, maybe somewhat confronting, explanation for the phenomenon?
    What's the solution then? Well, like it or not, queue up the day they come out. Abit like how State regulation inflicts parents to camp days before school subscriptions open, as to be able to sign in their kids. Before, it was the school that judged based on various elements such as distance, capabilities of kids, motivation, and so on, until State declared that as discrimination haha.