Iron coin that looks like silver on eBay (misleading ads promoting replicas)

Discussion in 'Fakes & Counterfeits' started by TreasureHunter, Sep 29, 2019.

1. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

This seller's coin is promoted as "2019 1 oz American Silver Eagle"
    I found it odd how come it costs 2.45 $ only...

[​IMG]

Now check the description:

[​IMG]

Yes, if you read "Steel core silver plating", then you can't say you're being double-crossed.
    But the title and the image is still misleading.

The coin is at best a "replica". And while eBay does not allow the promotion of replica Rolex watches, then how come an iron replica of a famous silver coin is fine to promote?

The title is misleading and if you overlook the description, you'll think it's 1 oz Silver.

Does the US Mint make "fakes" or "replicas" of its own coins???

If not, then this is a TOTAL FAKE. Just like many others.

I did encounter other sellers who sold this category of FAKE coins as genuine 1 oz silver coins at the price of silver coins. Somewhere in the description they also had "steel-plated" or something similar mentioned...

There are countless such misleading ads.

A few years ago I saw people selling pictures of certain things "picture of...", but if you don't read "the fine prints", you'll think it's the actual object!

It wouldn't fool me, but if a few variable were arranged differently, the average man would buy in (for instance if the price was 23 $, it would seem more realistic). Who reads the description carefully nowadays?

2. Hazlitt

Hazlitt New Member

That is one of the better fakes I have seen.

Good spot.

3. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

This is indeed a counterfeit product, fake. eBay doesn't seem to mind, it's full of such products.

Although, they ban "fake Rolex" and "replica Rolex" watches, the fake coins don't seem to bother them.
    There is an abundance of silver-plated fake coins. It's overflowing with them.

Tin Can likes this.