Investment Books

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by J-Money, Sep 14, 2013.

1. J-Money

J-Money New Member

Hi all,

Just after some recommendations for books to read, think it's about time I educate myself!

What books have you found useful/enlightening (with regards to investing)?

Thanks in advance,

J

2. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

James Dines "Mass Psychology" - Best book I ever read

3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

As a history lesson,

'The Great Crash of 1929' John Kenneth Galbraith.

The way it DID and CAN happen.

OC

5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For property try Steve McKnight's book 'From 0 to 130 Properties in 3.5 Years' (bit outdated now some fantastic advice/strategies) and the follow up 'From 0 to 260+ Properties in 7 Years'. He's more Cashflow orientated so for capital growth I recommend any of Michael Yardney's books.

Mike Maloney's 'Guide to Investing in Gold and Silver' is a must for PM investing. Little bit too bullish in parts but very well written and researched.

Investment related is a book called 'The 4 Hour Workweek' by Timothy Ferris, quite an excellent read.

'Think and Grow Rich' is another great book. Revised editions are much easier to read and more succinct.

And of course the obligatory mention for Kiyosaki's 'Rich Dad Poor Dad'. Still see people reading it on the train.

6. J-Money

J-Money New Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will take a look. Cheers!

7. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Have a look down at your local library first. I find having to return a book within 3 weeks makes me actually read it. The ones I buy will usually take a long time to get through as there's no timeframe to finish them.

8. hotdogma

hotdogma Active Member

Can I invite you to consider some other options?

Used textbooks! Many universities sell second hand books and Amazon may have them as well. I always see lots at Lifeline book sales here in Brisbane for $5 a pop when they are worth $100 plus when new.

Economics - for broader market trends / FX / macro economics for foundation on interest rates / inflation, demand and supply etc.

Accounting and Finance - so you can read a companies annual report and know what to look for and how to value companies. Learn the time value of money and NPV calculations etc.

Regards;

9. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

I have a few text books, there is an Australia publisher who does investmet books John Wiley & Sons Australia Ltd

http://au.wiley.com/WileyCDA/

10. hotdogma

hotdogma Active Member

Yep - Nice one Sanchez.

I am doing my MBA (Master of Business) and just spent the morning doing corporate finance and accounting. Using ratio analysis for a quick look at liquidity, profitability, asset management & efficiency and then digging deeper into understanding the meaning of those figures...

Still just a first best guess, but if you want to learn corporate finance, may be best to learn it the same way as those who working in the field i.e. digging through stacks of books, grounding in the basics, get a teacher/mentor and then practice x 1000.

Regards;

11. J-Money

J-Money New Member

That's great advice, cheers. I have an engineering background, but have taken some basic economics courses. Will look into throwing a textbook or two into the circulation.

12. NlightN

NlightN Member Silver Stacker

I have a collection of investment and trading books including text books that i will be looking to un load very soon. I will go thru them this week and post the tittles and some pics if your interested. There maybe 50 or more. :)

13. hotdogma

hotdogma Active Member

Cool. My bachelor's degree is in Economics and I have to say some of the best minds I have ever met in Econ have engineering backgrounds.

I am sure you have realised it is not as hard a science as you are used to - but the 2 disciplines seem very compatible. And with a head for figures you can go beyond the theory to actually produce the maths behind it which will give you a 1 Up on the rest.

I know an engineer who went on to econ and now consults for big money to top tier publicly listed engineering firms - because he speaks their language - both on site and in the boardroom.

Take it easy, HD.