Investing in Agriculture in your SMSF

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by whitepointer, Jun 20, 2011.

1. whitepointer

whitepointer New Member

Hey peoples,
    Looking at starting a SMSF for the wife and me and our core investment will be in PMs.
    However i would love to invest 30k or so in agriculture with growing food shortages, population, average age of a farmer is 58, biofuels and carbon credit tree planting scam taking up food growing land, and a number of other reasons. Tonnes more bullish reasons than bearish IMHO but dont know where to start.
    Does anyone invest a portion of SMSF in agriculture out in SS land and if so what.
    Agriculture Managed funds,Agriculture Stocks, Corn ETF, shares in a farm etc???

2. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

I haven't yet but am thinking same as you, will be checking some things out and will post up over the week

3. Kawa

Kawa New Member

I have invested directly in a small farm( 100% ownership) that is drought proof and rent it back to a major small crop producer that supplies Woolworths.I get about 6 % net return under the lease I have with them.

My farm is at present a substantial part of my fund and was a pretty ballsy move some 12 months back when I did it however it has turned out great.My friends thought it was risky however I think food is the future politic of the world and owning food producing land is very sound IMO.

There are very few ASX direct food companies I would seriously look at.Some that I have under monitor are Australian Agriculture Company ( Beef) and Tassal ( Salmon).

Whilst Coke is the second food group for teenagers and rum drinkers...I think Coca Cola Amatil is good buying at the moment.