Invested in 100 grams of the good stuff today

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by needler420, Sep 11, 2011.

1. needler420

needler420 Member

Around the corner from my house someone has starting dumping trash in the woods scumbags.

Anyway I grabbed the cable wires today and extracted approximately 100 grams from about a 12 foot cable. So about 1/4 pound at 2 hours labor. I have more cables to do later. Due to how noob I am stripping wires it was very tedious and took me a long time but was easy and watched TV while doing it.

[​IMG] :D

2. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

i find the easiest way to get copper out of cables is a oil barrel furnace. can do about 50 kg at a time and get a nonconformist blob out of it.

3. Trichter

Trichter Member

That's how it's done at dumps around the world by scavengers. It lends the air a charming acrid toxicity too. ;)

4. LTEK4NZ

LTEK4NZ Member Silver Stacker

love the smell of hot metal and burnt plastic in the morning. :) :p

5. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I used to strip all my cables by hand. The scrap dealers near me used to pay a lovely premium for 'bright' copper... you got much less for burnt stuff...

You can do it very easily and quickly using 2 stanley knives. If your gonna do it regularly, invest in a pair... one with a curved blade for stripping individual wires and another with a straight blade for the main cable. Once you've split the main cable (particularly if its a mains) you can take out the aluminium wire defenders and get at the copper...

I could also show you a scar on my knee where i once cut cable sitting down. Very bad idea... :)