Introduction to silver stacking and planning for the future

Discussion in 'Silver' started by fscked, Aug 24, 2015.

1. fscked

fscked Member

Hi Stackers,

I'm a newbie to stacking, I've been following the price of gold and silver since the GFC in 2007 and 2008. I remember sitting in my room listening to online radio (Alex Jones lol) and watching the prices go sky high, it was then I decided that I was going to start picking up PM's. I moved around a lot and never had the disposable income to start buying gold though. By chance I came across a guy that told me to buy silver and to research why, that was about 1 month ago and now I'm here.

Silver is at a 5 year low and I'm set to start buying, not big but, I will hopefully be pulling in a few oz each month. I plan to buy over the counter at nzmint.com, negating delivery fees and they are also cheaper than the 'wholesale' prices offered by other online NZ retailers. I've done quite a bit of research over the past few weeks, I've even quit smoking as I realised I was smoking a silver oz each week!

The one thing that has come out of my research is people telling you to 'plan for the future' or 'why are you stacking?'. What are your goals? 100,000oz of silver? This is where I would like some advice from those willing to share with me (and the other newbies I assume are flooding the forums during this 5 year low). What are your goals? Why do you stack? What did you buy when going in?

I've only really been focusing on getting silver for as cheap as humanly possible, i.e. buying 10oz bars and 1kg bars (there doesn't seem to be too much difference in price/oz ratio) and just buying as much as possible. Should I be looking at numismatics? And collecting sets? Won't that throw out my oz/$$ average?

Sorry for the rambling :lol:

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome :)

Good that you're doing your own research and starting at one of the better times price wise. Sounds like you've already started maximizing your ounces.

My tips would be to continue buying the lowest premium silver you can until you get a better understanding of the whole thing (save Numi's for later on down the track), stick with 2-3 of the same thing (10oz and kg bars are perfect) and don't tell everyone and their cockatoo that you stack.

Why do you stack thread- http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-66208-why-do-you-stack.html

What kind of stacker are you? Very important!
    [​IMG]
    Jislizard 2011

3. Porcello

Porcello New Member

4. fscked

fscked Member

House and Porcello, thanks for the replies.

I've had a look at the thread and it's given me some ideas. BTW, sorry if this is in the wrong section I just noticed the new member section down the bottom of the Index.. :cool:

I've basically spent the last few weeks doing as much research as I can, and I've developed somewhat of a strategy that in my (maybe naive) thought process could work for me. In the long run, by all metrics, it seems very likely that silver will out perform gold and I saw some charts online showing a swing between gold to silver buying ratio - currently 74:1. Would it be possible to buy as much silver as possible till the ratio falls to 30:1 or 20:1 then swap into gold and hold that till the ratio swings the other way and swap back for free silver? Not sure how long that process could take though, so maybe not viable..

Getting into collecting sets definitely gets my attention, I would separate them from my stack though and not include their value in my stack-to-price ratio. They would just be for me and my personal OCD enjoyment...

In terms of kiwis getting into PM's, I don't think I've ever met one that would ever consider investing in much at all. "Muh house price!" is usually all Kiwis care about and even that is on a very basic level.. :lol:

5. Porcello

Porcello New Member

There are quite a few members from NZ in this forum and many of them joined during the last year or so.
    So, yeah, many more than you think.

Getting to know each other would be beneficial also for local trading - much better to sell and buy amongst us at a better prices than you would find at bullion dealers.

Remember always that you need to have very clear in your mind when to sell, why, how, and to whom, if you want to invest into PMs, otherwise you are just buying a lot of expensive door stoppers and poker chips.

6. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

What the shit Porcello?
    You never invited me to any bloody meets.
    What a way to start my day, i was excited about all the financial shenanigans going on and then i see i am missing out on invitations and now deflated.

7. Porcello

Porcello New Member

Of course you're invited! Just click on the link or drop a PM to Silverman. There's no meeting planned yet, we are just collecting EoI to see what to do. Worst case scenario (low number) we'll just have a couple of beers somewhere.

8. Blastoise

Blastoise Member

Hi, I am also a fellow New Zealander, I too have been looking around in the last week or so and would like to buy 1kg bars. I have had a quote yesterday for a Perthmint 1kg bar for $840 but im still trying to look around. Looks like you can get them cheaper from perthbullion.com for AU$713 which is about NZ$788 http://www.perthbullion.com/shop/detail/pmsbk1/, but not sure on shipping fees and duty / tax etc.

Then there are a few nz bars below that I have never heard about:

$835 http://goldsurvivalguide.co.nz/ask-us-a-question/get-a-quote-for-gold-or-silver/

$830 http://www.bulliondeals.co.nz/buy-s...ategory=4184402&mode=product&product=13752169

What are your thoughts? Im keen to buy at least one in the next month but still researching and looking around.

9. Porcello

Porcello New Member

I
    Hi, I have a couple of PM 1kg that I'm considering selling or trading for gold. If you are interested we can do a transaction face to face in Auckland when you are ready, just send me a pm. Also, if you want to register your interest in a stackers meeting in Auckland please send a pm to Silverman99.

10. fscked

fscked Member

Are there any ways to do bulk buys? And get discounted even further? For example ordering 10 - 20 kg at a time?

nzsale maybe? or Groupon? :p