Interesting situation a week ago...

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Argentum, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

As many of you were aware few days ago there was a sale on Ebay where ebay gave 15 % off vouchers and it was on weekend. I saw an interesting item that one of our previous sitesponsors was offering for Buy it now or best offer. He had lots of things there but i went for a 10 oz bar. Anyway wanted to offer a slightly lower price: eg it was 260 i offered 250. Few minutes pass by he sends a counter offer but first he raised the price to something like 280 and sends a counteroffer of 270. So his counteroffer was higher than original price. It was a weekend so didnt see why he would be raising it on me asking. At first i thought he was pissed that i lowballed then i saw other prices starting to change too because he realised that ebay was giving the 15 % off vouchers so he wanted a piece of that too.

Anyway i snatched one of the items he hadnt yet raised the price for. But still very unproffesional i think of him. I dont want to mention them by name but i'm sure others were aware too. It was my first experience with this sponsor. I did send them a message through ebay, on same day, didnt get any response, but when i asked about price got a response within 5 min.

The item that i did buy was good and very well packed and they did get good comment from me for that.

What do you guys think?

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think you should go with a semi-firm chedder to really bring out the taste of that whine. :D

4. bull_bear

bull_bear New Member Silver Stacker

^^This bit is poor form, and also not acknowledging the prices changes.

But changing the prices on all his other items.. that's just part of business.
    imo

5. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

According to Ebay the rules are:

Additional information about fixed price listings with pending Best Offers
    You can make limited changes if you have a pending Best Offer. After you respond to the Best Offer, you can change any information except the format and duration.

If you have pending Best Offers you can:

Decrease the price

Change the quantity

Add additional postage options or payment methods

Add a second category, unless there are category restrictions

Add or remove optional listing upgrades, except subtitle (fees may apply if you add listing upgrades, and you won't receive a refund for any listing upgrades you remove)

Change buyer requirements

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/revising_restrictions.html

6. Argentum

but not increase?

7. Argentum

:rolleyes:

8. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The fees ebay now charge sellers as a final value charge are quite high.
    Ebay forces sellers to provide paypal as a payment option.
    Listing costs may also add to the cost of selling.

10 ounce bar selling at $260 and paying a 9.9% final value fee=Expense of $25-74

$260 - $25-74 = $234.26

paypal payment @ 2.4% +.30c per transaction= Expense of $6-24c

$234.26 - $6-24

= $228.2 for a 10 oz bar

I haven't used ebay in quite a while to sell so my interpretation of fees may be out.I haven't included postage in my paypal calculation as this is a variable

If my calculations are correct and the seller ends up with $228.2 in his pocket.then my sympathises are with the seller.

REDBACK

9. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Apparently fees for power sellers and such are much much lower, can anyone confirm?

10. REDBACK

9.9%
    9.5%basic store package
    8.5% featured store package
    7.5% Anchor store package

My sympathises are still with the seller using any of the above percentages :eek:

REDBACK

$250 @ 7.5% Expense = In pocket without paypal influence of $231.25 for 10 oz bar

11. Argentum

the point is the price of silver doesnt change on a sunday. if you go now on any sponsor site you'll find a price that should be the same from griday afternoon to monday morning before markets open. the question is after i querried this happened within minutes and whether that sounds like a reasonable thing to do from a seller.
    in his counter offer he doesnt acknowledge or mention the price change but just points out that his website outside ebay the prices are cheaper

12. Argentum

his fees were not affected by the 15% voucher it came of ebay balance sheet. he would just get more customers because of the voucher

13. REDBACK

I am not saying you are tight i am just saying my sympathises are with the seller.
    I do understand your point.
    Did he breach ebay policy? I really don't know

14. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

Be aware that store packages have monthly fees.

Ebay does seam to have control of the online marketplace to the masses. That is the only reason why they are getting away with these ridiculous charges. Ebay fees should technically just be an insertion fee with extra options. Ebay are not paying any more for a $10,000 ad being processed compared to a $1 ad being processed. It is pure greed, because they have a monopoly. With Paypal I understand the %, because of insurances etc and their service is directly comparable with the money being transferred. I don't think it will take too much longer before a blue chip subsidiary comes into this market and cleans up. 15% markup is big even in normal retail conditions.

15. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

I'm a first level power seller and have no discount, however I was Top Rated and was getting a 20% discount which doesn't amount to much.

16. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Paypal processing a transaction for $10,000 vs. $1 isn't actually much different to eBay listing an auction for $10,000 vs. $1. The only difference is somebody wrote out their business plan using volume of dollars (%) rather than volume of transactions ($).

Using a percentage value in an auction is reasonable enough, because the seller doesn't really know the value of their items and is relying on the buyers offer their best price. If you don't know what your stuff is really worth until after you've sold it, you can't exactly complain about the auctioneer sharing in your good fortune by taking a cut.

Taking a percentage on a transfer transaction is largely a holdover from when electronic funds transfers were new and difficult to perform. They needed to work on volume of dollars because the volume of transactions was very low. Obviously that is no longer the case, but the United States has a ludicrously outdated transfers and payments environment so Paypal can get away with using the old fee system.

It doesn't cost PayPal any more money to burn CPU cycles and flip some bits on a hard drive for a $10,000 transaction than it does for a $1 transaction.

17. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

there are alternatives to using pay pal so you dont need to use them. They are just not as easy or well known as paypal

18. Philski

Philski Member

O man, I recently got"stung" buying cheapest now on ebay. And, looked in the sellers store straight after payment. and found the EXACT same product bloody cheaper! I felt Robbed, cheated, violated even. It has affected my personality and way of life. And, interestingly it was only $1 cheaper...

in retrospect. Its easy enough to make a mistake like that as a seller on ebay, if you have the same product selling at different price points. If you use best offer its negotiation. Thats what it is. Sellers and buyers can and do say no. And, you said no. I dont see how anyone loses out if nothing changed hands. Unlike my fiscal commiseration dramarama.

19. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

It's alright.....sounds like the time I bought a fishing rod at a closing down auction only to find the price tag still attached when I picked it up.....it would have been cheaper to buy it when the store was operating:(