Insurance on larger orders

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by HeavyMetal, Jan 21, 2011.

1. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal New Member

Why is it that dealers won't insure deliveries for larger orders? eg orders of $10,000+ for most dealers and $30,000+ for Perth Mint.

Aren't the larger orders the biggest risk, and most in need of insurance?

Does this mean that any large order has to be physically collected, to reduce the risk of loss?

If I ever have enough spare cash to buy a kg of gold, how do I get it safely delivered?

And even for lesser amounts, wouldn't an armoured truck delivery create a lot of unwanted attention?

Maybe the experienced stackers can enlighten me. What am I missing?

2. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PM will insure large deliveries >$30,000 through their carriers, but the delivery is by either Armagard or Brinks to a business address, or by a pick up from their closest depot. You pay for the delivery and insurance. No home deliveries from these guys.

3. PerthStack

PerthStack Member

If you are buying a kilo of gold, fly to Perth and pick it up, probably cheaper than postage and insurance.

4. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's cheaper to pay for the delivery and insurance from PM to Melbourne, than to fly there for personal pickup.