Inheritance $30 000 shares should i sell and buy $30 000 of PM

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Noogsy brown, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Noogsy brown

Noogsy brown New Member

I have just inherited $30 000 of 5 ASX listed income providing shares. Should i keep or sell and buy $30 000 of PM.

P.s. at the moment i have $10 000 of PM and main financial goal is to sell some PM and upgrade to a bigger house for expanding family in two years time without increasing current mortgage.

Cheers

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I would suggest that the responses on a precious metals forum may be somewhat biased!

This is not financial advice, but one strategy may be to buy PMs with the dividends earned from the stocks. A more important question may be whether the particular stocks you have inherited are a buy or hold recommendation themselves, or whether the specific stocks are better off being disposed of due to the outlook for the individual companies.

3. Emanance

Emanance Guest

Welcome Noogsy :). Impeccable timing, with both Gold & Silver on special this week :D.

4. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

I'll get in an alternate view before the metals only brigade arrive...

Sell all the shares and pay down your mortgage
    Re-draw from mortgage later when you need the money for the bigger house

This ignores any CGT implications which you would have to explore first

5. Guest

Guest Guest

My only advice is that when you've made your decision, sleep on it for a week before acting

6. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

at the moment i have $10 000 of PM and main financial goal is to sell some PM and upgrade to a bigger house for expanding family in two years time without increasing current mortgage.>>>>

so, if 40K will upgrade your house - upgrade it ...

7. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Depends all on where you see the 3 different markets going and how best to take advantage.

I'd sell the shares and go half PM's ($10k silver, $5k gold) and half paying down the mortgage as I have a lot loss faith in the share market.

I'd put the remaining $15k into the offset or make extra repayments.

An extra $200 a week into a mortgage of $360k over a 30 year term would save more than $250k in interest and knock 15 years off the loan ;) And pay your mortgage weekly or at least fortnightly to save a whole load more on interest.
    Using the figures given; Weekly repayments would save $277k over the life of the loan whereas monthly repayments would only save $116k.

8. valuecreator

valuecreator Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

depends what the shares are...

banks, retail, I would sell for sure...

miners, food, utilities i would keep and do like GP said.

9. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

What's the tax implications of selling or not selling the shares? Sorry for your loss also.

10. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Paying an investment advisor is a wise course, only make sure you advisor understands Austrian Economics

11. menotcrimex

menotcrimex Member Silver Stacker

Gold and Silver are Cheap as chips right now.

I would upgrade the house then with what's left go 50% gold 20% silver and hold the rest in cash for the unexpected.

In saying that I am not an experienced all round investor and the above comments from others may be a safer bet.

12. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tell me what the shares are, what was originally paid for them, and I will tell you exactly what to do. Also, if your benefactor left you shares and not cash don't you think that might be a hint as to what he/she thought was the best asset?

13. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

Why not increase your mortgage, use the dividend to cover the extra repayment. Any left overs, put it in offset account or repay early.
    There are some good 2-3 year fix rate at below 5% out there.
    Just a thought.. That way you're not relying on capital gains to cover your upgrade.

14. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

+1 on 'depends' :D

Everyone in the stock market is currently chasing yield - are the yields on your stocks sustainable?

Bear in mind that sale of the shares will presumably be a capital gains event, which should be mitigated (halved) if you have held them for a year. Then there is the issue of whether you are a higher-band taxpayer, and whether the dividends have a franked component that will benefit you. There may even be a possibility of transfer into an SMSF.

Around here, asking a question about whether to get into PMs is going to get you a simple answer; the real questions are 'how much' and 'when'. Putting some money into PMs seems a no-brainer, and the prices seem good right now, but not necessarily by selling your inheritance.

Good luck!

15. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Not necessarily as special rules kick in with inherited assets, but vary depending on the specific circumstances.

16. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

Morning,

One must make up ones own mind.

I would advise looking at history and present conditions - write them down and look at them the answer is usually obvious and depends on your age and responsibilities.

Eg.

Are we in financial and economic historic times? Yep

Are we in completely unknown territory? Yep.

Are we in deep distress? Yep.

Is there a clear and or harmonious way ahead? Nope.

Throughout history what has been at risk at these times? Everything.

What has been at greatest risk? Any paper instrument. Debt. Any illiquid asset. Any immovable asset. Etc. - its a long list.

Seriously depending on age, if I were being really conservative, I would invest some money in a garden upgrade - edible, including knowledge. Some pm - gold and silver, no numismatics - untraceable - and tell no one. Be very careful with cash - make sure you can grab some quick and keep at least a dollop hidden well away - forget the building upgrade, live with it until this pans out.
    Suspend extra funds going into super and divert to completely your control.

Honestly, look around at what IS happening - it won't kill you to wait a couple of years too see how this resolves - the worst that can happen is you will eat some fresh veggies and be stuck with a bit of cash that earns no interest and you will have a stash of pm's.
    Also the kids might have to double up for a while - no disaster there, we did it years ago and are probably better off for it.

The risks are here now - not someone doomsday wanking - superannuation changes, foreign massive debt, attempts to seize depositors funds, actual seizure of secure assets - this is not fiction, these are facts and they are happening now.

If the tsunami comes you will need to be prepared now or get killed in the rush.

Make sense?

Gazza.

17. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you already have PM then you need to look at the quality of the shares. If you have no PM assuming you have no major debt then sell the lot and buy PM (at least 50%). The stock market is near an all-time nominal high, time to take some profit. If you have debt sell shares and pay off debt. But do buy some PM (if you don't already own some) even if it is a couple of K.

18. gcsun

gcsun New Member Silver Stacker

Similar boat here. I just sold westpac shares to buy gold/silver.

19. silverman47

silverman47 Active Member

Why would you pay down a mortgage that could potentially loose alot of value / equity. When you could buy an entirely different piece of positive geared real estate generating cash flow. Pay down the mortgage with that if you wish as well as pay a seperate piece of real estate off.

Your assuming that the money is there for the redraw later on. In normal times yes, but these arent normal times and i wouldnt be putting money into the ether like that.

20. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

This exactly.
    You haven't given enough information to warrant a sensible answer.