Indicate that PMs have been read by receipients.

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Guest, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

On another social site I used to frequent you were able to tell if someone that you had sent a private message to had actually opened and read your private message as the title of the message in your 'Sent' messages box would turn a different colour to indicate it had been successfully received and opened.

I wondered if it would be possible to have a similar sort of facility on this site and then at least I will know when someone has been in too much of a rush to open a PM I've sent them or whether they have opened it and are simply ignoring me! :p

2. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

yeh i second that. It would have been really handy to have during a recent unpleasant 'experience' I had with one of the members of this forum who offered to sell me silver at a certain price and then took days on end to reply to my PMs ... waiting for the spot price to go up no doubt - which it did - and then said sorry he couldnt sell anymore at that price.
    what an asswipe!

3. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

That's poor form yip. I've done myself outta cash on numerous occasions by honouring prices.

However, I agree with LB, a read function would be useful, but I'd imagine it'll be tricky to implement!

I'm not the worlds best at replying to pms, but I try to get them replied as soon as possible...

4. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

well yip why dont you leave neg feedback to warn others of their action? its your duty :p

5. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

Ive never seen any negative feedback on anyones yet. Which is great. But yeah someone like that i wouldnt want to deal with

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Changes are coming to private messages (and the forum) before the end of the year. New PM system altogether.

7. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Will it provide cookies?

8. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah see changes are comming and you guys are gonna have to clean up your act! No more cussing and swearing bad mouthing etc!!

Dont know where that came from???? :)

9. Irondog

Irondog New Member

Well Ladybird, it's kinda like leaving a voicemail for someone and not knowing if, or when, they listened to it. In general, I find that if my message is important to someone, they will respond in a timely manner. If they don't, you know where you stand. I suppose such a feature might be useful for business transactions...not so much in personal communication. So, if you see that your PM is read but didn't get a timely response...what's the point in knowing if it was read or not. Would you send the message again? Berate the person for ignoring you? I don't really see the point, or the value, in knowing if someone's read my PM as it relates to the issues/discussion in this forum. Certainly, it's a common courtesy to acknowledge a PM by responding....but in this day and age, common courtesy is a rare commodity....you shouldn't take a lack of timely response personally. I'd be willing to bet a "PM read" indicator will be part of the new, soon to be launched, PM system. Lady, you will be getting what you want...so rejoice:D