I'm trying to find a sales job at a jewelry store. Good or Bad IDEA?

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by rara200284, Jan 2, 2015.

1. rara200284

rara200284 Member

I'm going to school full time, but would like to learn more about the world through work as well. After getting into gold/silver, I want to work for somewhere I can learn more about the market. I was thinking of working at a jewelry store even if they focus more on diamonds and gems.

Is there anyone with any experience working in a jewelry store? Any word of advice?

2. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

If your in Australia bad bad idea. You won't learn squat in jewellery retail stores that are part of large chains. (managed stores for 8 years and had to train staff that had been there for 20 years and couldn't explain how an automatic watch worked :rolleyes: )

However an independent store will spend more time ensuring your knowledge is up to scratch.

3. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

^^^^
    +1
    there are a small number of shops where you could learn a lot but you'd be better off learning in your own time and working at McDonald's than working at your average mall jeweler. You might do better trying to get a part time job doing gofer work at a manufacturing jeweler who does custom pieces or someone who does jewelry valuations or gemology. Otherwise a second hand jeweler will be better than most places because you will have to deal with buying and selling which will involve a lot of learning about what things are worth, what sells quickly and what doesn't etc.

You could also try a bullion dealer, or even just a gold buyer. Even independent pawn shops deal a lot in this sort of stuff.

If your into watches there are a few very high end places around but they will be looking for someone with high end sales experience.

If and when you find a place I would highlight your personal interest and knowledge and if a page doesn't hire you maybe ask them if they have any tips for other places to ask or other types of jobs in the field you might try.

If you can't find a job there are plenty of courses in jewelry valuation/gemology/jewelry making etc. Not sure where you live but a quick Google search should give you plenty if info.

Good luck.

4. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

i am not sure how working retail jewellery will educate you on "the market."

what do u mean?

shiny

5. rara200284

rara200284 Member

Since I'm getting into PM's, I figure jewelry store gets a lot of info about what's going on in the world first hand. I read a lot of job reviews of people who work in jewelry stores saying how working there has opened their eyes in understanding those type of things. I looked into jobs for Daniel's Jewelers, Ben Bridges, Zales, Swarvonski, Jared's, Tiffany & Co.

6. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

oh ok.

well, in my experience that is not the case. sales is about.....sales. you need to know about product, and read people and know how and when to ask questions. also the subtlety of discounting and negotiation. you don't talk "markets" with clients. and when business is slow, you are not talking or learning or researching "markets" as you are wiping glass, following up suppliers and calling clients that their repairs are complete!

i suggest you research "markets" elsewhere and focus on your job, while you are working.

JMHO

shiny

7. DSK

DSK Active Member Silver Stacker

I did and introduction to gemmology at the
    Gemmology association of Australia. Then started
    The diploma (didn't finish due to work). The teachers are
    In the trade and most of the students. I was working in banking
    At the time. They were all badly paid. My thoughts were to use that
    Knowledge in pawn broking and not retail as no money there. My advice
    Call the Gemmology association up and check it out. Do a class get contacts and learn. But move on out retail.