I don't wanna Stack, I wanna Trade...please help

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SS, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

If I were you, SS, I would only play the paper silver story after you completely understands how it works, who you are competing with, and what the situation on the silver market is (who bought alot silver on the given moment and their specific reasons/goals). Because without, you'll surely end up on the losing side. Unlike with a silver stack, where a gain or loss only materializes by trading acts, a paper play is an immediate start of gain or loss. And every gain on a paper market, implies an equal pain on it, and no matter how fast they sell, there will always be a first and a last.
    Look at IShares Silver Trust last year during march / april. They bought over 200 tonnes per day for 37 market days, starting with 11000 tonnes on 9 march, adding 7639 tonnes, till end aprils record total of 18639 tonnes. It's now 8719 tonnes less, and most of it dumped in a few days, being the biggest reason for the price move from $50 to $32,5. People gained the average value of $8 per ounce, and other people lost it. Silver is no better hedge against inflation if you inflict yourself the same or higher losses than the banksters/governments inflict you on your bank account.
    Just saying, it's your choice not mine.

2. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. noagenda33

noagenda33 Member

Signed up for IG Markets demo account today, don't know a hell of a lot about trading but the flashing lights on the screen sure is addictive to watch right now! Kinda like pokies for stackers?

4. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Outweighed by the knowledge that you have what you have and the risk that one might not be able to buy back physical in certain circumstances.

5. Tabbitt

Tabbitt New Member

I am starting to see more information coming in that a USD collapse will very likely happen before mid November, is anyone else getting similar information?

6. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

possible, but unlikely... late 2017 seems more probable

7. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Absolutely worth to read.

Thumbs up for wrcmad - R.E.S.P.E.C.T

Bump to the top!

8. theFNG

theFNG New Member

BUMP!! What a great thread! Thanks for the info.

9. thegreywizard

thegreywizard New Member

So I'm fairly new to physical, the last couple years I've bought a handful when it was around $33 an ounce, now evening out my total buy price of physical while the price is low (forget the actual term?)

But silver is clearly in decline and paper has crashed hard this year and will probably continue to do so and I'd like to take advantage of the paper volatility while taking those earnings & hedging in physical.

Problem is I'm extremely new to stocks.

But I would like to get my feet wet with paper silver right now with an online trading account that is easily managed and doesn't charge for commodities trades? (I was reading IG market doesn't charge for silver/commodities trading, but apparently they don't offer US accounts?)

Say I have about 2k I'd like to invest into an account to short silver paper. Suggestions? What kind of returns can I expect with that type of investment if using a software to track and auto buy/sell on dips & rises?

Would a margin account be good to do with silver right now since it's clearly declining, or margin accounts aren't a good idea for someone new? I've read up on them & understand you basically get 50% more buying power with added interest/fees and also can quickly lose 50-100% quicker, but silver is a solid bet on a continued decline for 2016 at this point and if I can play the paper markets right and convert the winnings to physical... well that would be an amazing year and I think I'm in a solid & correctly timed position to do so by being in the market NOW and having the time to learn and a few dollars to play with over the next year.

Suggestions on what trading account to use & what to set my buy/sell numbers at right now to take advantage of the quick daily volatility, yet steady decline of silver, both paper & physical?