Hypothetical Postage Scenario

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by hussman, Jul 17, 2012.

1. hussman

hussman Member

Say a buyer buy a 10oz Silver bar for $300 from this Silver Stackers Website. The buyer puts $14 on top for platinum post.

The seller then realises the buyer is $1 short of platinum post. Decides to send Reg Post with no tracking number so its not even registered. So he ends up keeping the extra dollars that were meant to be for platinum post.

What should both parties, the buyer and seller do in this case.

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Say It did not arrive and ask for the tracking # :p *

But seriously, ask for a refund. Probably an honest mistake. I ask my wife to send stuff every now and again and she usually stuffs up something :D

* Just kidding... no really do not do this

3. Byron

Byron Guest

If i was the seller, i would still send it off by Platinum Express, even if it was $1 short (provided this was a one off and not ongoing shortchanging by the same buyer).

I'd let the buyer know that he was $1 short but wouldn't ask for it.

If i had asked the buyer if he wants to send by registered post instead, and he/she agreed i would put any surplus postage money left over, into an envelope and send it together with the silver bar. Wouldn't send by registered post unless buyer knew and agreed to it.

There's no way i'd keep any surplus funds, i'd refund to buyer.

If item goes missing and there is no tracking # it is imo the sellers fault. Because he sent it by a different manner in which it was agreed upon and without advising the buyer.

Good communication rather than unilateral actions is the key to these sorts of transactions.

4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I send EVEYTHING platinum xpress now ,never had a problem
    For the few $ more its not worth the risk ;)

5. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

As a seller - if you quote for Platinum post and stuff up the calculation - the seller should pay the extra and send the parcel Platinum Express.

As a buyer - I would be pretty annoyed if I had paid for platinum post and it was sent registered. I've never had Platinums go missing but have had a couple of registered disappear and always get the standard Auspost response - we don't track registered. There is probably not much you can do except express your disappointment

For a 10 oz silver bar - Platinum Express post should only cost $13.90 anyway as it weighs less than 350g. Add a bit of packaging and you would still be below the 500g maximum allowed.

malachii

6. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

I am with Malachii on this one, however as a buyer if I do not transfer the right amount due to an oversight or entering the wrong amount etc, I would not expect the seller to cover it, I have had one transaction that it was agreed that if the seller could not send it platinum (there was doubt due to the physical dimensions of the parcel) it would go registered, it ended up going registered which was fine, as it was agreed beforehand

7. itin

itin Member

So we're talking One Dollar, right?

I'm American, so my view might be a little slanted, but unless the exchange rate is AUD1.00 = USD25.00 I'd eat the dollar and send the agreed upon way.

If this was an eBay transaction I might request a correction, but SS is a loose knit dysfunctional family. :D

You gotta take care of your own.

8. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Sent thousands of items by Platinum Express and never lost one. Couple delayed (particularly around December/January), but never lost.

Makes me wonder sometimes why we pay a fortune for third party insurance (touch wood).

9. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

FYI: Australia Post has just realest new Standard Pre-Paid packing parcel tough bags, you know the 500g and 3Kg bags and the new ones include Free Tracking. It's regular post not Express or Platinum Express, I just bought a stack of them. So if you happen to score one of the new bags then you now get Tracking included with regular post.

In this scenario I would have forgone the dollar and posted it, or better yet just bought a stack of Platinum Express Pre-Paids and got the bulk discount so it would probably be $1 cheaper per unit anyway, tuck the rest away for later. Anyway should have contacted the Buyer before posting but so long as it arrives then no grief, the Seller was the one taking the risk so maybe a partial refund at best.