Hunter Valley Prospecting Club

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Squiggles, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Hi guys,

I have very recently purchased my first metal / gold detector which I should take delivery of next week. I have done the odd panning trip in the past and really enjoy it so I have decided to take it to the next level.

After making the purchase it got me thinking, who am I going to go detecting with way out in the sticks? I personally know of only one other person with a detector.

So I have created a prospecting club, well more of a group. It's on Facebook and you can find it by searching for "Hunter Valley Prospecting Club". Essentially its an open group and anyone interested in the hobby can join. I hope to organise day and weekend outings with the help of the members of course :)

I also plan on creating a mailing list in the future to keep fellow prospectors up to date with what's going on.

Input welcome :)

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Hey squiggs, i am interested in knowing of any events. I'm not on facebk though and only have a (really) cheap park and beach detector that has done the rounds of a few ss members.

So if you are going anywhere and I can make I'd be interested in seeing what I can organise.

3. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Hey no worries, I will keep this thread updated with any events.

4. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

Great idea Squiggles. I have just started looking at detectors. Tossing up between the Xterra 705 or the Sovereign GT.
    Have done a little panning at Nundle. Definitely interested in any events.

5. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well done Squiggles.......... Love it ;)

6. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Thanks guys, your all welcome to join the facebook page, but if you don't have facebook feel free to PM me your email address and I'll add it to the mailing list once set up.

P.S. email addresses will always remain private and will not be given out.

7. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

I was looking at getting an Infinium LS but decided to get an AT-GOLD Instead :)

8. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Hey guys, at this stage I am looking at possibly heading to Nundle on the weekend of the 10th Nov, followed by Hill End on the weekend of the 24th Nov.

If anyone is interested in meeting up for a hunt on either of these weekends your more than welcome to. The more the merrier.

Further details available on request.

9. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

What was the deciding factor/s for the AT-Gold over the Infinium.

10. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Good question. After watching numerous video's online and reading many reviews, forums, I decided that my main detector requirements were to be waterproof, lightweight and fantastic at gold detection in highly mineralised ground.

Both the Infinium LS and AT-GOLD "from my research" tick all those boxes with the exception of the Infinium being a little more on the heavier side.

The deciding factors for me personally was the range of modern functions built into the AT-GOLD, like pin pointing, iron audio, depth indicator etc and also the quick recovery speed which I think is important.

All these other things popped up along the way, all metal mode, ability to detect a target underneath trash etc which also helped sway my decision.

I know many would argue getting a VLF over a PI detector but from what I can gather going with the AT-GOLD I will have more chance of finding much small objects closer to the surface than say larger targets located deeper with the Infinium. But from what I have read the AT-GOLD penetrates quite deep for a VLF unit anyway depending on the type / size coil being used.

I guess it really comes down to personal preference but for me the AT-GOLD seemed to be better value for money. I might be kicking myself in a few weeks but we'll just have to wait and see.

PS. The Infinium is next on my list though :)