How to tell if a coin has been submitted to NCS first before NGC...

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverfever, May 15, 2012.

1. silverfever

silverfever New Member

I was told by a senior member from the other Chinese Coin forum that coins sent to NCS first start with 3 and those sent directly to NGC first begin with 2.

Is this common knowledge or is this true?

Like I said before , I am new to MCC's and the slab thing so any info would be appreciated.

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, common knowledge.

Exceptions apparently exist, but so far everything I've sent to NCS starts with a "3".

3. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Sent a bunch of 2010s to NGC without doing NCS---they have developed spots--going back to them on their guarantee--will be curious how these pan out.........

4. Catseye

Catseye New Member

Dang JF, that's disconcerting, they were conserved & developed spots?
    What is the time frame on this?

5. silverfever

silverfever New Member

I guess sending to NCS is a waste of time/money.

6. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Even if a coin is actually conserved, that doesn't guarantee that spots won't develop. It does improve your odds dramatically though.

7. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Whoa, whoa---I edited it--I DID NOT DO NCS---was typing two things at same time--sorry guys---didnt think I would need it on 2010s though......

8. Catseye

Catseye New Member

Whew! Thanks for the heart attack.. I mean correction. ;) :D

9. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

Normally I could blame this on ipad or iphone-we will call it typing at 6 am :D

10. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

I DONT KNOW IF I WOULD GO THAT FAR:)............... conserving means just that............ if you have a coin with toning or even pvc damage , or you want to give it the college try on removing milk spots BY ALL MEANS.......... it is great , but IMHO and please dont bite my head off, I honestly dont believe it will stop a coin from developing milk spots AT ALL ,I think if it is going happen because of the nature of these spots it will happen................... I do conserve coins, I have over 50 coins at NCS now, an expensive coin that I think NCS can remove some film and pretty up (350 +) I send them to NCS , A real expensive coin for sure,I will investment spend even if the coin doesnt look like it needs it................... but to take a 40.00 raw coin like a 2012 panda and spend over 25% of its value to conserve it, to me is a waste of resources......... I do stand behind my statement milk spots are impurities stamped into the metal during minting that rise to the surface over time,so I have been told, so you can dip the coin in all the majic NCS juice you like and IMHO if it is going to develop milk spots from within it will ,surface impurities are another matter.....that is what NCS is about......

11. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

I think there is a misconception in which some people believe by simply getting a coin NGC graded that the coin is now impervious to white spots or toning. This would be an incorrect assumption as I'm not sure if the NGC guarantee would cover deterioration of a coin after it has been only graded. Coins can develop toning and white spots after they have been NGC graded.

It is only my opinion but I feel that NCS conservation can mitigate future complications with your coins as has been stated by tamo42 and several others. I would tend to believe that if a conserved coin deteriorates after conservation, the "guarantee" would definitely cover that type of loss.

12. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

In talking to them this AM--said they would MOST likely cover mine as they were only graded 2 months ago.

13. comeaux

comeaux Member Silver Stacker

That is excellent news justfishin !!!

I did submit for an "appearance review" a graded MS70 in which they refunded my money.

Anyway ... glad to see they are taking care of you ! :)

14. jc888888888

For sure a valid point ! I did not think of it from the guarantee angle.............. maybe it is worth spending the 10.00............I just want to make the case that ,it appears to me that many folks believe if a coin is conserved ,it is the cure all to ever having problems, I dont believe that to be the case.
    the reality is if you send a blast white 2011 bear to conservation, what can they do to it?? dip it in acetone or an acetone like product to remove any film or residue,air dry it and then grade it , does anyone truly believe that is going to mitigate white spot from forming ?? ...........Im just saying:)

15. jc888888888

NGC has a great guarantee , I submitted a pf 70 kruggarand 1 oz that had a spot on it, they conserved it perfectly and sent it back................

16. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I think if you ncs a coin is less posible than a not ncs coin to develop milk spots.
    I saw cero ncs coins with milk spots and i saw a lot of not ncs coins develop milk spots.
    The ngc 3 number is necessary condition to ncs coin but not all ngc coin begin with 3 are conserved.