How much is this rock worth? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Eureka Moments, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gday viewers.

I recently found this mineralised quartz rock whilst detecting and due to a lack of storage space I have decided to sell it. It would be a great thing for someone to own but I have no idea as to its value so I am seeking assistance as to what this may be.

[​IMG]

It measures approx 8cm x 5cm (3"x2" for older or o/s viewers) and weighs 198.34 grams. This is roughly the same weight as a large block of chocolate but it has many more potential uses. Please feel free to make any suggestions regarding potential uses.

[​IMG]

Here it is pictured from a different angle. Note the mineralisation!

The cute yellow stuff is crystalline gold. I can not say for certain how much gold is present (this forms a part of my pricing quandry) but in my estimation it would be between 0.5 - 1 gram. There may well be more but it would need to be smashed to pieces with a hammer to find out and I could not do such a thing to such a nice rock. The gold is in pristine form and has not been subject to weathering like polished alluvial nuggets are.

If someone wants to purchase this rock they are encouraged to submit what they think is the value of this rather incredible and unique thing and we may be able to do some business. I would naturally be attracted to whoever suggests the highest price but lowballers are welcome to contribute. Its price is currently zero until suggested otherwise.

Everyone should realise that postage costs would naturally have to be paid by the buyer at whichever rate suited them and should consider this when making price suggestions. F2F could be arranged if willing to travel to Country Vic but I reckon that would be a fairly expensive proposition for most of you. ;)

Please suggest in Aussie dollars and cents. I will accept your suggestions up until 10pm on Sunday night Melbourne time.

2. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

$150 AUD, and not interested in buying. Just my trollassay.

3. Eureka Moments

I thank you for your trollassay. Some may consider this an excessive amount as there is probably less than $100 worth of actual (impure) gold in the specimen.

Viewers or an interested buyer may wish to know what you are basing your trollassay on. I can understand you not being interested in buying as you have recently notified us of your lactose tolerance issue and how much its costing you. PMs would be way down your priority list. :)

4. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

$75 delivered to brissy

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Its got to be worth $100 just for the lucky dip factor & the joy of smashing it with the hammer

6. plata

plata Member Silver Stacker

not joy of smashing it at all!! will be used as paper holder on my desk :)
    Definitely it is worth $85 delivered to my house in melb. ;)

7. Eureka Moments

Although a buyer (was that an offer btw) would be free to do whatever they wished I feel that may be a waste of an incredibly unique item.

This rock could be used as a paperweight and would make a fantastic addition to any office setting. You could sit it on your mantlepiece and get to feel smug about PMs every time you look at it. You could start conversations about the joys of stacking with people who have no idea. Imagine having this wonderful rock on your bedside table...great to look at each night and handy for trying to repel unwanted inturders who break into your home with sinister intentions.

8. hem9

$95 delivered

9. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Dearest Dark Knights of the Order of Round Robbins and Loose Ends:

I could give plenty of personal examples where opal specimens (i.e. collector pieces) would have an asking price of (let's say) $200 AUD yet only contained $50 worth of opal. Then you have 'Picture Stones'. Then you have massive 200Kg boulders with little trace potch opal revealing, not uncommon to ask $3000 AUD for such pieces of crap (really it is not crap I only express this to deter others from putting their filthy hands in my pie). Now, with opal (as you very well know) you only pay for what you see (unless you are me and can see dead people). Hence, what buyers are really willing to buy is the best 'face' or angle of approach when viewing.

Eureka, what you are 'really' selling is the face (as depicted and presented in the last picture that shows the gold). That face is presentable and captivating. So much so, I recommend the name SuperNova, as that what goes through my head when tranced on the last picture (unless some inconspicuous website is rattling around in my antioxidant head).

One only needs to look at nuggets to observe how spot is only one factor of determining value.

In the case of the quartz specimen above, it is nothing special, yet is also not ugly nor unappealing. It is middle of the road. Due to size of article this is the main driving factor of value. But, soon as you draw your eyes towards the face with the gold peekaboo, you are struck with the BigBang (another name suggestion?!?!?!).

Bigger it is, higher the asking price.

I would not doubt the 'quartz' alone could fetch $50 AUD. Hell, even soap stone gets a few $$$. Everything has value, including 'appeal'.

So long SuperNova, I pray you find a worthy pwner (or did I mean 'owner'?!?!?) whom will endeavor to place you on top of the pr0n collection.

Piece/Peace.

Fine Print:
    Royalties due if using any of the mentioned names. Humbling self to Lard or Surd W&F.

10. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

No not an offer . Im not into rocks except to throw at the neighbours cat so it would be a hammer job if i bought it

11. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

$150 AUD stands, and best reflects best face (known as) SuperNova.

12. hem9

$150 is a good offer for a rock, as you can get a 2.5g of refined gold for that money. Good luck w your sale

13. Eureka Moments

A couple more pics for viewers.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Great for pondering universal origins. Could also be used as a meat tenderiser so you can buy cheap cuts and put the savings into PMs.

14. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

should be worth around 150 bucks

15. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

The Power of Suggestion folks. Plant the seed and watch.
    My job here is done.

@EM
    If you could be so kind (if you do part with Origins), do let us know what you sold it for (no usernames needed to be divulged).

Cheers.

16. hem9

So the $150 was not a solid offer? I thought it was a solid offer. I withdraw my offer then as there are too many with opinions on value but no no solid offers is muddying this thread.

17. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

does it have the other half of the rock?

18. Eureka Moments

To clear up muddied waters I shall declare this rock to be for sale to the highest bidder. Bid on here or by PM if you dont want W&F to know who you are. :D

Hem9, you are welcome to reinstate your offer and I will accept it should nothing higher be bid.

If you dont withdraw your withdrawl then we are back to zero. :)

19. hem9

ok offer reinstated

20. Eureka Moments

Sorry. the other half of the rock is a rather large quartz reef which I am not including in the sale as I couldnt find a big enough envelope to mail it in. :p