How do you store your stack?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dirtbikepilot, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

I don't have a big stack as yet, but growing. I have started using the resealable vacuum seal bags to keep my stack in.

You can get different sized bags, large medium and small. In one bag I have coins, single layered, and in another bars. A large bag holds around 30+ coins.

I have different collections in different bags which makes sorting/locating easy.

When you seal and suck out the air it goes as stiff as a board and the coins are readily visible within.

Protects both coins and cases from scratching and the atmosphere. As I fill bags they can lay flat on top of each other without causing harm to the coins/bars below.

This obviously makes storage a lot easier and if needed can be easily concealed.

2. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

i used my bars to make an igloo for myself, so in a sense the silver bars are storing me

3. Dusty

Dusty Active Member Silver Stacker

I hide mine under my shopping trolley as I walk the streets asking for money so I can make my next purchase but I stop occasionally to pick up cigarete butts.

4. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

Was more curious on storage methods rather than where or how you hide it...That's been done in previous posts, keep that to yourself.
    what method do you use to store/file them, to keep them in the best condition and for easy location of an individual coin. (throw them in a shopping bag, coin books/folders, just drop them in a bread bag they are cheap, automated computerated retrieval system that files by coin date and type in an oxygen depleted storage container) I'm sure you get what I mean...

Keep up with the cigarette buts, price to weight ratio they are worth more than silver ;) Just not as sexy or tasty or shiny or smooth or cool or or oh God.... I'll be back in a minute....

Ahh that's better :cool:

5. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

I to wander the streets asking for money but i leave the cigarette butts alone now, particularly the ones in the urinals they soggy and hard to light.

6. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

internally

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Is that why you have that abnormally long index finger ....for counting? :p:

8. donkarnash

donkarnash Member

LOL !!!!!:eek:

9. purplefunkything

purplefunkything Member Silver Stacker

...so what happens when you want to trade? :)

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well, if the coin or round has any premium attached to it I put it in an airtite capsule to stop it getting any damage so I can preserve the premiums.

I then generally store them in the box the airtites came in as this keeps them all together. Being in Queensland with the high humidity I also then but the boxes into Glad sealed sandwich bags along with any of the silica granule packets that I can scrounge from shoe boxes.

If the coins have no premium, e.g. junk silver they go in an old biscuit tin. I then take a few out each day, soak them in cloudy ammonia, give them a once over with bi carb of soda and when they are bright and shiney I put them into a Glad bag to preserve the shine. They will eventually be transfered to an iron bound wooden chest which I will get around to making one day. I don't separate out the 50% or the 92.5% but I suppose I probably should, maybe I will make a couple of chests

Any carded nonsense goes into an album. In the UK you can buy albums specifically for cigarette cards, these fit the carded offerings perfectly in the 2 pocket versions. Have to maintain the premiums and they don't stack well. The same albums also have pages which fit one ounce bars perfectly which also don't stack that well.

Any boxed nonsense goes into a Glad bag while I work out why I bought it and what I am going to do with it.

Rolls of Dragons stay as rolls as they are easier to stack that way.

Glad bags don't stack too well as they are a bit slippy but until I get more silver it isn't really an issue.

I wouldn't mind getting hold of some of the coin tubes like they have in America but they don't seem to make them for all the sizes of coins that I would need them for. I might get hold of the ones for the 50 cents but I begrudge paying money for them.

11. Clawhammer

I get top prices because my silver is so shiney and untarnished

12. cdnmetalmetalhead

cdnmetalmetalhead New Member

[​IMG]
    Source: My laundry pile

13. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

14. silver dragon

silver dragon New Member

hey guys. So do you reckon if I put capsule coins in plastic bags and seal without air like with those machines that take the air out and seal the bag that is usually used for food. I think it is called vacuum sealed. And also would i do this with any boxed proof stuff?

15. cdnmetalmetalhead

cdnmetalmetalhead New Member

Whats your question? Can you do it? if you want. Will it damage the coins? probably not. I personally think its a bit over the top, specially for the rpoof coins.

16. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I counted up my ageing stack a few days back and some buffalo rounds I had binded together with elastic bands where trarnished where the rubber made contact, nice big black line running down the whole lot :(

Word of advice: keep anything rubber away from Silver.

Other then that I have all my rounds and coins in tubes, bars are stacked and free to tarnish if they want.

17. silver dragon

silver dragon New Member

oh so maybe I shouldn't bother and just leave them as I am doing in the original boxes or airtites. I just thought that as some people are talking about storing in plastic sealed bags etc that it must be better. I am always trying to pick up tips and learn new things that might be helpful

18. gadgetryan

gadgetryan New Member

My small stack are all in air tites except for my junk silver which are in plastic bags. All are houses in one of those hard camera cases with the foam on the inside. Does its job for now.

19. Clawhammer

I was playing with a rubber band during lunch, 2 hours agao and my hands still stink!

20. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you already have one then why not? If you keep adding to the stack it will get annoying having to split the bags and reseal them but at least you get to interact with your silver.:D

If I had a vacuum sealer I would use it for this while my wife was out. Sealing the packs can make the bags stiffer which helps them to stack.

If you haven't got one I wouldn't rush out to buy one just for this.