How deep underwater are you?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Gold Kiwi, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

The Chipmunk is unarguably correct about one thing -- nobody sustains a loss until they sell at a loss. If your stack is just sitting there, no loss has been sustained.
    Your stack may be worth more or less at any given moment according to the bankster charts, but until you sell something for less than what you bought it for, you
    haven't sustained any loss. The only people who should be crying are those who've had to sell and did take a loss.

As for the spreadsheets -- they may be happy things to read when PM spots are rising, but they're frustrating when values are level and depressing when values are
    declining. Makes me think of the fatso who weighs himself twice a day because he's so concerned about his weight. He ends up getting so bent out of shape because
    he didn't lose any weight that he consoles himself by drinking two six-packs at happy hour and eating a quart of Hagen-Dasz ice cream before going to bed and then
    ends up weighing 5 pounds more the next morning.

Spreadsheets are great for keeping track of exactly what you have, but staying aware of the up-to-the-moment value of the money you've invested in times like the
    last couple months is just depressing. Do yourself a favor---either toughen up, tighten up and ride it out for the long haul or if you just can't take the tough times then
    sell out, get out, stay out and keep what you have in fiat form in the nearest bank. One way or the other, stop crying because one of these days you're going to drop
    dead and it'd be really sad to have a tombstone that reads "He died crying."

2. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

BS

3. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Again, it's not about the glass half-full/half-empty, being optimistic or not. It is not about feelings and emotions and how one feels about the markets.
    It's about objectively reviewing one's investments. When someone says they are down 25%, in my book that justifies reviewing and questioning to some degree the investment. Whether you want to feel happy about it or sad about it is in my opinion completely irrelevant.
    Now, there is nothing wrong about making oneself feel better and speculating better times are ahead. However looking at it for what it is, is not silly in my book.

Let's be clear here, I am in the same boat as everyone on this forum obviously. And I am holding onto every once i've got, and i too am in for the long term and i too see the fundamentals and hope for the price to account for them and go higher in the future, but I see no need to satisfy myself with "she'll be right" statements.

4. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well, if anything, the opportunity cost would be one. Given the timeframes we typically look at in this market, this can be significant.

5. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So what are you going to do about it?

6. wrcmad

It amazes how many stackers claim to do so for the purpose of preserving wealth.
    When the value of silver increases, they bask in the glory of validation of their strategy.
    When the value of silver decreases, they claim to have not made a loss. :rolleyes:

Plenty of people allow themselves to believe that they have not made a loss until they sell and crystallise that loss.
    If you are among them, then ask yourself this: Are your paper profits unreal too?
    If your answer is no, then you are suffering from a mental disease highly detrimental to your wealth - SELF-DELUSION.

7. soupdragon

soupdragon Member

I've made loss of 22%, no plans to convert to fiat so no loss.
    By pure coincidence, yesterday I increased my stack by 22% more Ag.
    Funny how thing work out.

8. wrcmad

OK, so do we measure value of silver in fiat or purchasing power?
    Because all I read through the threads of this forum is you should measure the value of silver in purchasing power.
    If this is truely the case, then a loss has been suffered.
    If it is not the case, then stackers are delusional.

9. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

There are a lot of people that have their heads in the sand. A lot of members here that probably don't have investment experience outside of metals. A lot of people people that are investing only in metals. It is hard to remove emotion from investing but even more so when you have something tangible and pretty to look at. This is when you end up with comments such as:

I guess the same is true when you buy a new car? Or not. It's just a fallacy to justify losing money.

10. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

Im down probably about 20-25 percent in ag and about 15-20 percent in au. But being that smackdown took two days and Ive seen metals nearly double in price over the course of a year Im not too worried. I am however plannib to start selling if and when we see mid 30's again. I still plan to keep some metals just in case it goes parabolic but Im thinking of buying a rental apartment in the next couple years if prices decline so if we see a rebound I may cash in and save the dollars for a down payment. Interestingly enough my metal is down almost the same as real estate so if Id have spent that on either Id still be screwed. Shouldve went with my gut and bought blackberry at 6.60 in nov. instead of believing in all the bullshit sheistering in metals.

11. SilverBrumby

SilverBrumby Member Silver Stacker

I dont want to look at my spreadsheet. My first ounce I bought was in mid 2011 at $42 oz. Its all been pretty down hill from there. I have an emotional attachment and I dont trade in anything else. I am a noob. I feel a bit silly. For some reason I choose to believe it will still go to the moon. I am still buying
    [​IMG]

12. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for sharing Silver Brumby.

I think I'm gonna have to choose another higher power. :lol:

13. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

14. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

far as I can tell you've lost nothing physically

15. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Lets just say that i am looking at dive pro master watch...no more this 300m watch. Lol

16. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Yes I've lost wealth since last month and last year.

That's just part and parcel of playing in the game.

I am a lazy fundamentalist :)

17. togetherwe

togetherwe New Member Silver Stacker

I support being realistic, and consistent, but I think there is a valid case for the 'loss denial' going on:

I think many of us purchased PMs because of [who knows what] with a long term view for value preservation relative to other options. So yes, if you take a short term view, stare at your spreadsheet every day and 'believe' that what the market is paying right now is a good indicator of what the product will be worth when you wish to sell, you can view this as a cold hard loss.

My impression is that for many this sudden market correction has failed to change [who knows what] - the long term investment strategy remains unchanged, and I think all but the very naive would have entered the game without being prepared to take a hit in the short to medium term. If you want to get mathematical, I think the purchasing power of a PM product is best viewed as a time average over a much, much longer period than a week. If I plan to sell in 10 years time, I would be a fool to predict the likely price then based solely on today's prices after a huge volatile jump, while disregarding the bigger picture. With the long-term strategy/belief unchanged, why would one be especially concerned by this short-term stochastic fluctuation?

18. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Well turns out over the past 3.5 years fiat would have been the best investment. Westpac in January 2010 I got in 5 year term deposits at 8.25%. So to date that would be about a +30% return and 100% of capital in tact.

19. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Yep i remember asking you where you got that in early 2011. I couldnt procure those numbers but got a bit over 7% ..Its been doing nicely thanks .

20. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I wish north american banks offered rates like that.