HOW CAN I COLLECT WITH MINIMAL $$$$$

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by JamesG, Apr 20, 2013.

1. JamesG

JamesG Member Silver Stacker

Hi all

It has been a hectic week, i finally got some time to talk about collecting coins.

Most people show some interest in collecting coins and banknotes but shy away because of the common false assumption that you need a pocket full of money to collect numismatics.

well i am here to tell all you potential collectors you DO NOT NEED A FIST FULL OF MONEY to collect some very nice coins and banknotes.

So to this point where do you really start building a nice collection which wouldn't cost an arm or a leg???

First place to look is in your loose change, YES your loose change can sometimes present unbelievable rewards for the keen would be collectors.

(HOW HOW please tell?)

This is a list of what you need to look for.

**the number 1 coin to look for now is the 2012 $2 poppy designed coin. make sure to look for the best examples and store them away. i am sure you can afford to lock away a $2 for a few years. Uncirculated condition is the BEST.

**second coin to look out for is the YEAR 2000 incuse 50c piece, this coin is not well known. here is a picture of one that is selling on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2000-INC...ns2&hash=item1e79afea8f&_uhb=1#ht_1234wt_1020

the way to tell if you have the right coin is , the union jack is sunken into the design and not raised.

**This year is the 100 years of canberra, they produced a 20c circulation coin to commemorate the occasion, seems to be hard to find, so there is another opportunity to find a nice coin to add to your collection.
    here is also a picture of the coin which i took from ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-X-201...ins2&hash=item4d0ba017d5&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1037

Finally I will give a tip for all PEOPLE who live in Melbourne. There is a stamp fair on in Melbourne in may. In that fair there will be a special stamp and coin pack for sale. The 20c coin in that pack will be counter stamped at the show. this pack will be different to the normal ones they will sell at the post office, due to the counter stamp. IF your in Melbourne it would be wise to go there a pick a few up.

As with all things dont go overboard, just collect to your budget.

P.S just a quick disclaimer, i am not associated with any of the above listed ebay images or sellers, just showing you examples of what the coins look like. I am also not trying to sell you any of these coins

hope this helps

James

2. kcaven

kcaven New Member