How a swim school in Redcliffe is driving China's Olympic gold rush

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by AgH20, Aug 5, 2012.

1. AgH20

AgH20 New Member

http://www.news.com.au/sport/london...lympic-gold-rush/story-fndpu6dv-1226443207625

"Aussie swim coach Ken Wood's Redcliffe City High Performance Centre is one of the secrets behind China's success at the London Olympics.

China has sent so many of its swimmers to Wood's Olympic production line, paying big money for the privilege, that the 82-year-old has lost count.

"I couldn't tell you, but it's a lot," he said. "I had 20 on the Olympic team - 15 individual swimmers and five in relays.

Wood has broken cultural barriers. When Ye won the world 200m medley title in Shanghai last year, she climbed into the stand to embrace Wood. Victory changes the swimmers' lives. Everything is performance-based. Before international success, the best in each province earns $1000 a month and has their own bedroom. It's a sliding scale to almost nothing for the slowest swimmer in each squad.

"With a world record, she is a millionaire now," Wood said. "When Liu Zige won (200m butterfly) in Beijing she gave her coach a brand new four-wheel-drive. They took her to Hong Kong and they gave her a kilo of gold.""

Now, that is what I call incentive to win! :lol: