Hmm.. can someone please tell what this means

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by WildWelder303, Nov 10, 2021.

1. WildWelder303

WildWelder303 New Member

Hello,
    Welder here! Quick question in regards to my Silver Buffalo that I posted a picture of last night. Do they all have an MM mark just behind the Natives neck? What does that stand for? Possibly Mason Mint? It's the first one I've held in person or purchased. Can anyone gimme a little information. I did the Ol' Google search but I thought ide just come here with my question. Thanks and have a wonderful day!
    ** So I know Mason Mint put these out... But how come the photos online don't show MM on the coins? Sorry if this is an ignorant question guys..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  2. Trinkets

Trinkets Active Member

"MM" is the 'mint mark' which does indeed stand for "Mason Mint." The picture you saw online was probably a stock image of the round from some other mint. Silver buffalo rounds specifically from Mason Mint will all have the "MM" to state they are from that mint, and that this specific silver round is based on Mason Mint's buffalo design. Other silver buffaloes you may see would have no mint mark or a different one depending on the mint that produced the round.

sammysilver likes this.
  3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Silver Buffaloes are a generic round, which means that any company can make them, not just Mason Mint.

I have a couple without any mint marks on them at all. Some companies bother with a mint mark to prove that it was made by them, others not so much for a generic design.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  4. WildWelder303

WildWelder303 New Member

Oh!! Thanks guys!! Makes more sense now! Of course I was under the impression that they were minted like the American eagles and distributed as such. I got a lil to learn, thanks for being amazing y'all!

raven likes this.