High sale prices??

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Dirtbikepilot, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

What is with some of the high asking prices on SS. I appreciate that we want to get the best price we can, both seller and buyer.
    However I have noticed that some sellers are selling for similar or even higher prices than the bullion dealers, why? You don't even have the overheads of the dealer.
    I figured that selling/buying on this site allowed both parties to win. The seller got a better sell price than from a dealer at spot or above and the
    buyer got an ounce closer to spot than from a dealer. One may call this a 'win win' situation. It would appear that some sellers want to take one
    of the 'wins' out of the deal so that they are the only winner.

Of course this is not everyone on site and I realise that my comments may upset some, but I guess you would only be upset if you feel that this applies to you,
    so then it would be, perhaps, considered justified. I know I don't have to buy and can shop elsewhere...blah blah blah. :D

I just figure that I would love to purchase more from members here so we both get the better price, but I'm not willing to be gouged by paying more in a private
    sale than what I would to a dealer with all the overheads of a business. :/ If I had something to offer for sale I figured I would find a medium price
    between selling to a dealer and buying from a dealer.

Just my thoughts, feel free to berate me. :p

2. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Try living in Tassie...........

Trust Aus Post?

Better check my FF points & fly to Melbourne & deal.
    Any Melbourne folks coming to Hobart?

3. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It used to be that you could buy damn near well at spot here.

4. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Takes two to tango. Dont buy and sellers will need to reduce prices if they want fiat, like any market.

5. carrdo11

carrdo11 Member

Well ....... i had some fantastic trades with 'dimmy1985' and 'projack' over the weekend. Great pricing, flexibility and spirit of a good trade! love this site...great people to do confident secure trades with...

:lol: love the site even:p

6. Dirtbikepilot

Thanks Carrdo, you are absolutely correct there are many fantastic sellers on this site, and that should also be recognised.
    I have had the pleasure of buying from some of them and look forward to doing so again. :)

7. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

some stackers like to keep their business on a F2F basis and dont mind paying a premium for the privelige, others buy off dealers and try to flp for a profit straight away, but as matthew says, it takes two to tango, so if you dont like the price then hang loose :)

8. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Well - I've had some silver for sale at below spot all weekend on here and still have received no offers on it. I think buyers and sellers are all a bit nervous about the movements over the last few weeks.

malachii

9. Dirtbikepilot

There is always the other option....

[​IMG] :lol:

10. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

You go where your happy, but personally i prefer the site sponsers. Up to the minute prices. All good.

11. Dirtbikepilot

Yep agree Butch. Have used site sponsors many times, they are actually the only dealers I have used so far. However prior to buying
    I check what the members of our SS Community have on offer.

12. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

You're not the only one, pretty sure there have been times I have seen sales with prices that make me go "WTF?".

Of course, it goes both ways. I've bought some amazing bargain stuff on here before and have seen some amazing ripoffs ;)

If you can get it cheaper elsewhere, by all means more power to you though! I wouldn't hesitate if I were you :D

Anyway, part of the reason for such high prices sometimes could be attributed to stackers that bought when spot was $40+ and they don't want to lose any money so do a cold listing hoping for some fish to come along and bite the bait. But stackers know better than that right? Hence this thread :lol:

13. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

agree with the OP.

As a seller, you gotta ask yourself...... would i buy at the listed price? if your answer is no then dont hit the 'submit' button.

another peeve..... constant 'bumps'. If your auction hasnt received a bid or your sale hasnt got a buzz, bumping it half a dozen times wont change that. We have seen your listing, its the terms of sale that arent suitable.

14. carrdo11

carrdo11 Member

CAVEAT EMPTOR

15. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

Agree with fish ball. Probably a lot who bought in the $40s. No-one likes to sell at a loss

16. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Dealers generally have big buying power, so get large bulk orders at a discount and therefore can move stock with smaller margins. Unfortunately, smaller stackers don't have near that kind of buying power so whilst not having the overheads is true, they also probably don't get a discount in the first place and can't pass it on :)

17. pmstacker

pmstacker New Member

Not always, if im selling i will pump it about 5 times, 1's per day (dont know if thats counted as constant 'bumps') before i hit the sack, if it doesnt sell after 5 days then it confirms maybe the terms suck and things need to change BUT sometimes the right person hasn't come along yet and giving it a bump a day for a week confirms that.

After doing bumps once per day its rare that i dont sell the goods, sometimes i get buyers from overseas asking about it after a bump at night which is daytime somewhere else...

BTW bit of a rally, sell sell sell !