High relief perfection from Nanjing Mint

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by SpacePete, Sep 1, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Cell phone cameras are crap compared to a half decent digital SLR in terms of capability. If you want to take good pictures and have options (like the option of good quality interchangeable lenses), get a digital SLR.

2. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

There has never been any controversy about the superiority of the SLR camera over the smartphone/hand held camera. However, relatively few people have or use the SLR camera. Smartphones are ubiquitous and are very convenient for photography. Even though the quality may not always be the best there are tons of breathtaking photos on the internet that attest to the utility of smartphone cameras.

3. mmissinglink

I never claimed there was a controversy....I am simply pointing out what I see as inarguable facts regarding the picture quality and capabilities of an SLR vs a cell phone.

As an illustration of my point, virtually all children have video capability on their cell phone these days....but should that mean that the family should sit down to watch a cinematic film on the child's cell phone to get a great experience? I say no....it's much smarter to simply get the right technology or tool for the right job.

4. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Compromise:

[​IMG]

5. SteveS

SteveS Member

The best camera in the whole world is the one you have with you when something happens. On this measure, camera phones win, no question.

I have pro DSLR kit, but still believe this golden rule.

6. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

With proper lighting a camera phone does very well in terms of picture quality. It really depends on the purpose. Depth of Field is where camera phones lack.

7. SteveS

SteveS Member

Compared with any DSLR, camera phones 'lack' in almost every respect - DOF, dynamic range, lens speed, focusing accuracy and speed, image quality, frame rate, etc. Where they score is in convenience, being small, light and always in your pocket, plus it only takes a few seconds to show all your Facebook friends how lovely you look today.

8. mmissinglink

There's nothing inconvenient about having a DSLR when taking pics of the coins I own....it's hard to imagine why it would be inconvenient for anyone else for that reason. Therefore the best camera is the DSLR in my view (for the purpose of taking photos of coin I own).

Additionally, depth of field is very important for me for most of my favorite medals, coins, and rounds in my collection.

My cell phone is good for taking pictures while I'm on a roller coaster or for quick impromptu shots of my friends on a night out.

9. SteveS

SteveS Member

A perfect example of the convenience of a phone camera.

10. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a couple of lenses for my iPhone, but the trick is to use the phone like a camera - steady hand, sun behind you etc. All the discipline of a box camera brought to an iPhone.

11. SteveS

SteveS Member

I considered getting some accessory lenses for my iPhone, but to be honest, I'm a bit of a pain in the arse when I have a 'proper' camera with me. Whatever we're doing turns into a photoshoot and I drive my wife mad with all the faffing about, setting up the best shot. If all I have with me is my phone, I just snap away without too much concern for the outcome, which is generally good enough anyway.

Now, if I'm visiting somewhere like Paris, Rome, the Grand Canyon or the Daintree, no way am I leaving my good gear at home!

Methinks we need a photography thread......

12. mmissinglink

And the perfect way to illustrate my point....use the right tool to do the job. Cell phone for FB quickie shot on a roller coaster....DSLR for Chinese medals. ;)

13. Jens

Jens New Member

Very true, but somehow i always find myself spending the DSLR money for coins or medals instead ;)

14. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Very, very true!

I wish I used the money I spent on SLR and DSLRs all these years to buy gold panda coins and take their photo with my smartphone :lol:

15. mmissinglink

Smartphones are more expensive than a good quality DSLR so there's no excuse to not have a DSLR for when it's the right tool.

I can easily do everything essential on a freebie cell phone that I could do on an expensive Smartphone and with the money saved, buy a nice DSLR and a few silver coins.

And I can get high quality 1080 video from a half decent DSLR as well.

But hey, I just like the right tool for the right job is all.

16. SpacePete

Back when I had a DLSR (35mm film, not digital) it was quite enjoyable to think carefully about what you were photographing and carefully framing the picture because of the limited number of shots possible with a roll of film, and the cost to develop. No one really thinks about rationing pics now since you can take thousands and instantly delete the crap ones.

If I had heaps more time and money, I wouldn't mind getting outside with a large-format camera:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA-0bVROir4[/youtube]

17. mmissinglink

So the burning question SP is, the pics you took and posted in the very beginning of this thread were taken with what? Camera or cell phone or something else? (I'm assuming you personally took those)

18. SpacePete

Post #6 answers your question :)

19. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Still a great photo IMO.

#15 post has another good one.

I remember the story of the international wine festival in France where American wines first broke through the barrier of subjectivism; when the judges where blinded to the region of origin of the wines. The rest is history!

20. mmissinglink

Well then, other than the color being a bit off I am quite impressed with the quality of the iPhone camera and I stand corrected regarding the need for a DSLR if such quality can be achieved from a smart phone...granted it is an iPhone and it is in the hands of a very capable person.

I've seen plenty of photos taken with cell phones and they pale in comparison to those you posted SP.