Herd mentality

Discussion in 'Silver' started by grumpy, Aug 18, 2020.

1. grumpy

grumpy Member Silver Stacker

Having been involved in forums before the internet was invented, I shouldn’t be surprised at the behaviour of anonymous, unaccountable individuals hiding behind “handles”.

Actually, I’m not surprised, I’m disappointed.

A week or so ago I advertised PAMP silver at near-spot. I was contacted by a local Perth member who offered to buy 150 kilos at a price well below spot. I chatted with him for a while and opined that I thought the offer was verging on insulting.

He took offence at this, or was most likely embarrassed, and reacted by besmirching my reputation and integrity behind closed doors (the members only section): -

“I have spoken with this gentleman and then been told by local dealers who he is and the history he has, I thought I should warn people that he has a reputation for bad business practice that have cost him money and is extremely arrogant in my opinion. I would not trust him”

And this:-

“Im cautious to given how litigious some people can get, i have never felt the need to do this before but if you know any local coin dealers you can ask about him and the coin show incident”

I have never been to a coin-show, I have never purchased coins except from bullion houses, and, as far as I know, have never set foot in a coin-dealer’s business.

I really don’t know if this is a malicious act or a case of mistaken identity.

The disappointing aspect of this is the way other members jumped on the bandwagon, it really was quite disturbing.

Once the feeding frenzy got under way, it was suggested that a recent sale of a Monster Box to a Queensland trading partner was somehow fictitious, this was predicated on the fact that the goods only took three days, Perth to FNQ.

Suggestions that my trading partner and I were one and the same, of using proxy’s to disguise my identity and other are, frankly, silly. Surely one would give someone the benefit of the doubt?

If not the benefit of the doubt, then why not ask for tracking details?

I will not be responding further on this matter; I have made this post because I believe the majority of people are fair-minded, and I wanted those that have trusted me and communicated with me privately in a friendly and civilised manner, to be aware of the back-story.

2. Jason1

Jason1 Well-Known Member

admin would be able to tell pretty quick if you had two accounts or not, most forum software can compare accounts by IP adresses, eg two accounts who have logged in using the same IP address gives it away pretty quick

so maybe admin might be able to help you solve that myth and maybe cool the flames?

3. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill buddy...what you blow out of proportion by calling a feeding frenzy I would call people making suggestions on what may or may not have transpired.
    If your nose is out of joint about something that you shouldn't have been privy to, I don't see how that is any ones problem other than yours and whomever told you; getting you wound up enough about it to start a thread.

spannermonkey likes this.
  4. BiGs

BiGs Active Member

5. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sent to me via pm
    "I will not hesitate to do everything within my power to make you accountable"

I am accountable to everyone here for my opinions. My reputation is what it is because i am accountable for my opinions. If i see something i dont like i will follow forum rules and comment in the suitable location.
    Other than impinging on my reputation do you want to expand on what you mean by making me accountable?

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

OH FFS I'm just going to add him to the blocked members list = problem solved

Stoic Phoenix, adze67 and serial like this.
  7. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

i am doing the same

8. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker