Help with travelling with gold via Singapore stopover

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Macros_The_Black, May 13, 2013.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I had 20 X1 ounce coins in my laptop bag when i went through & they didnt even blink but they did inspect my power adapters though .It was a full roll but i took the plastic off them &just put them in the pockets of my laptop bag .They made me take the laptop out & send them through seperately but not even a blink at the coins it must have looked like normal coinage on the xray .

2. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I guess coins attract less attention than bars in this regard

3. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

Agree with the above - and for that reason coins might be easier than bars as noted by others above (tnx). Yes, it seems 'discretion' could get them a long way. See this older but v helpful thread -->

http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...-security-with-a-gold-silver-coin-or-bar.html

And now I've just had the response from SG Customs, here it is in full:

FWIW it might be better to simply use the "Left Luggage" facility for a few SG bucks/day.

I'll post an update as and when the travel is finished. For obvious reasons I'm not saying when that is ;)

Thanks very much to all esp. Altima.

4. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

Thanks for this info. I assume this only applies if one passes through customs/immigrations, and is not required if Singapore/Changi Airport is merely a transit point...?

5. Macros_The_Black

Yes I believe that's correct. We're only talking about customs controls, not anything to do with being in transit.

I think the party in question will use the "left luggage" facility as it avoids all the issues as customs is not crossed. The luggage is simply picked up on return to the airport for onward travel (not quite clear yet how the luggage get re-booked onto the flight if it is checked into the hold, but it's an official service so no doubt they'll have efficient systems for that, knowing Changi.).

6. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

At Singapore airport, went to the foreign currency change desk (or as the sign says, "money changers").

Listd on the board, along with all the major currencies' exchange rates, are:

* gold bullion 1oz
    * gold bullion 1/2oz
    * gold bullion 100gm

Who says gold isn't money?

7. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Limit is SGD30,000 (or foreign equivalent) heading into Singapore.

8. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Point made. How many percent under spot are they offering for each of the above?

9. Bigfella

Bigfella Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The more you try to hide things the more you will be seen.

just carry the coins in your hand bag / man bag and be cool.

I did this with a heep of black pearls from Tahiti and passed through NZ on the way and never once was I questioned and if I was I was carring them for safe keeping as I did not trust the lugage system and they were my wifes.

But never needed to worry as I did not look like I was doing anything wrong. Thats the key.
    Wrap the coins in cling wrap and not capsuals as the outline will show on an xray. You will not get stopped, again just act like nothing is going on.

10. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

USA but perhaps relevant:

Imagine you are docilely going through the long security line at John F. Kennedy International Airport, headed for your overnight flight to London Heathrow. As your carry-on bag goes through the X-ray, a burly TSA agent is called over to confer with the machine operator. He then looks at you and says: "Please come with me, sir."

As you are led to a small cubicle, you nervously try to think of what you might have done wrong. While you open your bag as instructed, the stern-faced TSA agent points to a small package and demands to know what it contains. Inside are antique, collectible gold coins that you intend to sell to the same British dealer from whom you bought them years ago, but now they are worth much more.

Now the agent says: "I'm sorry, sir, I will have to confiscate them, but I will give you a receipt. You have the right to file an appeal."

You stand there dumbfounded, the whole purpose of your journey destroyed.

Serious problems can arise when gold or silver coins (or any precious metals) are transported personally out of the U.S. to other countries by auto, airplane, boat or public transportation - or the reverse, when entering the U.S.

In May 2010, the Houston reported that U.S. Immigration and Customs (ICE) agents and Border Protection officers at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport confiscated more than $250,000 in cash and almost $160,000 in gold and silver in 14 separate seizures from individual travelers during that one month alone.

If you must personally carry coins, my advice is to contact the nearest office of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency, well ahead of travel, and explain what you propose to do and ask them how you can conform to the law. You should ask for and receive a written response so that you can show it if questioned by ICE agents. Also ask Customs if you need to notify them of your date and departure flight as a precaution against the very real possibility that a local Customs agent at the airport may not know the rules that cover this situation.

You will need to complete and bring with you a Census Bureau Form 7525-V, Shipper's Export Declaration. This form is required for exported commodities with a value exceeding $2,500. At current silver and gold prices, many coins would exceed this reporting threshold.

Failure to file this declaration can result in seizure. The consequences for stating incorrect information are severe, including confiscation. They may also result in a fine of up to $10,000 and/or imprisonment.

To read the complete article, see: Traveling With Precious Metals (www.internationalman.com/78-global-perspectives/808-traveling-with-precious-metals)

11. Phiber

Phiber Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Far out!

12. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Today I emigrated with 1kg bar in Singapore, handed to my buyer and then re-immigated to board my flight to Hong Kong. Was not scanned and had a beard

13. Macros_The_Black

Thanks mate! Good info. I'll let you know if the females in question travelling via SG also kept their beards.

14. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've been in and out of changi about eight times and never had my bags scanned/checked or seen anyone get scanned. Except at the gate entry when you are about to fly out of singapore and this isn't customs, just security contractors if I remember correctly.

15. tiddleyetom

tiddleyetom Member

Im due to travel via Singapore with PMs at some stage in the future.
    Will be 'in transit' only, with PMs spread across the whole families baggage.. Do I only have to declare if I go though customs?

16. Macros_The_Black

Yes as far as I am aware, you'll only make declarations at customs. Pretty much the same anywhere in transit, although bag scanning might produce request to view what is in there. In Singapore transit once my wife had bought a container of face cream in Heathrow duty-free and it was bigger than the regulation size. Since we were already checked past Customs, it didn't occur to us that this would be disallowed by security (not customs) due to liquid-size-limit regulations. Though we were told she could have had the bottle "sealed by security" at Heathrow and it should have passed through OK.

So no customs/import/export issues but there will still be scanning and possible bag searches. Just ask for private viewing. You're not doing anything wrong so nothing to be concerned about IMO.

17. tiddleyetom

tiddleyetom Member

Thanks for that reply. The Pms are coins with a face value. Spread across the family will be less than $10k each and only in transit for a few hours, so Im quite confident, the wife not so..