Help with coins

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Rick4691, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Rick4691

Rick4691 Member Silver Stacker

Hi guys a mate has fallen on hard times and has asked me to find out if these are worth anything.
    I know zip about these sort of things so thought I would ask some advice here.
    If you could make a suggestion on where I could get some more info it would be handy but as i do not have the items on hand i dont know what I am looking at
    [​IMG]
    cheers Rick
    I have done what I could to help by buying all his round 50s

2. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Look up what they sell for on ebay. The roos go for $40 to $50 at a guess. Bradman coin maybe $10.

3. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

This is aside, but nevertheless, it illustrates that numismatics and/or a large variety of coins/rounds, can turn out as a pain, if the original collector isn't available or can't be asked anymore.
    It may be an idea to keep/maintain some text file with all the special coins and their 'special' properties and the prices you paid, that you print now and then and store it together with the coins. And to limit coin/round variety to a manageable degree.
    Otherwise the chance is there that someone related / family, having knowledge nor interest, sells them all for a peanut, to someone that knows better, with your money heading for a destination you didn't intend.

4. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Google each item using as much detail from the coin or packaging that you can.

Year
    Name / type of coin
    Is it a Proof or not
    Coin dimensions and what percentage of which metals it comprises of.
    Weight.

It's a little painstaking but you'll get your answers.

eBay prices are likely to be higher than what you'd get here.

Nice of you to help a mate this way.

I'd be keen on the Royal Australian Mint frosted kangaroo at a fair price as well as any 50's.

I wd also be keen on the penny depending which year.

5. paruwka

paruwka Active Member

This is exactly what I do. I keep a USB drive containing an Excel file showing the pertinent details of my stack. Within the numi area I have also included URLs/passwords to reputable sites to help determine coin value; reason for coin purchase, and any relationships between individual coins.

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I never thought of including all that info but I like the idea. My stack is very small compared to the stacks that I believe most stackers have (except maybe for the brand newbies) and aside from the plain blobs in my stack, I have info for each coin like description of coin, date of purchase, order or US Mint item # or auction ID #, price paid, and pictures of the coin. I only have 1 item which has some ancillary info but what if something happened to me and one of my family members became the owner of this small stack....providing the additional info you suggested would help them ascertain a more accurate current value.