Hello, Newbie from Melbourne. Advice appreciated.

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by SilverSam, May 30, 2015.

1. SilverSam

SilverSam New Member

Hello everyone, SilverSam here.

New to Stacking and still finding my feet.

About 3 weeks ago I made my first Silver purchase, 2 ASE (from Goldstackers). I figured why not start with the most well known coin around. This was before I found this website.
    Since then, Ive been researching like crazy. Ive read "Goldpelican's Guide to buying silver in Australia" and he says stick to Perth mint coins, bullion bars, rounds and 1966 50's. A few questions though.

I do like the Perth mint coins but the premiums do put me off abit, Will i get that premium back when If i ever chose to sell?
    I have no problem with the 1966 50's. but I do feel space will become an issue with them.
    So that leaves us with the bars. ATM I feel that buying 10oz bars every few months would work best for me and my goals, as ill be getting more Oz for my buck and storage will be easier.

Should I just buy the cheapest 10oz bars I can get at the time? or Stick to something more well known like Perth Mint this early in the game?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Welcome, starting out stick to bullion coins. Don't buy coloured, gilded or special coins in boxes.
    They have higher premiums which, from experience, you may have trouble selling out may need to sell them at a loss. Bullion generally sells easily.
    Pick a theme. It may be 10oz bars or lunars or whatever, common goods will make selling easier when the time comes rather than list 51 individual types of 1oz world coins.
    Best of luck, just enjoy it and use spare money. Keep the debts down first.

3. SilverSam

SilverSam New Member

Thanks for the replay Naphthalene Man.

by Bullion coins you mean kooks and koalas? or generic rounds?

And if i read between the lines, any 10oz bars will do as long as long as they are "common goods"?

4. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

`Hi and welcome.

5. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

I'd always go a 10oz lunar or kook than a 10oz bar.

Only downside I can think of is the coins take up a heap more space for storage.

6. Naphthalene Man

I try to avoid generic round s but that is just my choice, others will differ. Bullion coins are kooks, koalas, lunars, ase, maples Britannia whatever, just not proofs, coloured or special editions.

7. Naphthalene Man

I'd agree with trew, coins over bars but you should get some base silver with low premium before branching into coins imo

8. SilverSam

SilverSam New Member

Thank you both for replying. Coins sound good, but I think ill wait a bit before buying 10oz coins.

I like the idea of building my core position with low premium to get my Oz up, then see what happens from there.

Thanks again.

9. Boyscout

Boyscout Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Hello Howdy

10. kramer

kramer Member

Welcome. I stack round 50c only. Just my preference

11. Casper

Casper Active Member

Good advice from Napthalene Man. Low premium is best (I particularly like PM lunars, kooks, and ASE's), but also like mixing it up with some small art bars and some numis. Different people will have their own preferences, and like me, you may find your tastes changes over time. Problem I found with many coins is the packaging is just too bulky, so if space is an issue, stick to rolls and slabs. Main tip - enjoy.

12. Casper

Casper Active Member

Oh, also forgot to say...Welcome
    By the way, the ANDA coin show is on in Melbourne on 22nd/23rd August which may be of interest to you

13. switchtronics

switchtronics Active Member

Welcome to the forum. When investing my advice would be calculate your risk vs return level. Traditionally low premium bullion will always only be worth low premium. If you are bullish on silver then this type of stacking is great. However if silver drops like it has the last 3 years there is no collectable value to maintain premium. What was $33 an oz in 2012 can be worth $21 an oz in 2015.

Definitely spend your time investing in the knowledge of both bullion. Research market trends of bullion series and mints.
    Past can be an indicator but not always a success. Knowing which coin in the series takes off can be hard to predict. However, I often look at the first coin in a series as when the series progresses it becomes worth more.
    E.g. panda/ lunar. Research mintages, if they can be reminted, past performance.
    If investment is your target coin bullion will be more stable. However with bars if the market moves rapidly u are directly tied to its value. Bullion like lunars or pandas can have a buffer as they usually arent as affected by spot moves, with more demand by collectors. As always research wisely and use dollar cost averaging to improve your portfolios return